DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this is in the right place but MODS feel free to move it.

I have done a lot of searching and I cant seem to find what I am looking for.

I know that the tune on the car is a make or break situation. I am also under the impression that a temperature change has a big effect on the tune. I live in Chicago, sometimes I goto work with the heat on and come home from work with the a/c on.

What is the best solution for me. I had a buddy with a 308hp FWD, he put the mods on and dropped it off at a shop to get tuned. He said the car was really fast after he got it back from the shop "best money spent.. yadda yadda" few weeks go by and he couldnt even break the tires looose. I imagine that this was probably because of a temprature change.

For people who are more experienced, what is your opinion on how to go about tuning for someone who wants a mild street setup

255 lph
680 cc injectors
2G MAS
SAFC II
EVO3 16G
FMIC w/ SHORT ROUTE PIPING
TURBOBACK

Can it be done with simply an AFC + wideband and work well in changing temperature conditions? I dont want someone to run their mouth to me, and I got to start tuning my car because their is a 20 degree temperature drop.

do you think the best solution is to get an eprom with a keydiver chip burned so i have a baseline with the 680's and the 2G MAS, and then fine tune with the afc via wideband o2?

or do you think that the onlly way out is spending the big bucks and going with the eprom, wideband, and DSMLINK.

Who do you think is best to do tuning? Would you ever trust a shop to do it? I mean if you want it done right shouldn't you do it yourself?

If you have a wideband, then with DSMlink i think you should be able to do it on your own. With the AFC, should you take it somewhere and get a baseline and then work from there?

Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I hate to just keep rambling on here but, I would really like to hear from people who live in the midwest area who have similar mods and are using an SAFC.

I personally would like to go the SAFC route because its the cheapest and it will get the job done. At the same time, I dont invest my money in something that will fail me later in down the line.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you have the money for Link, get it. Single best mod I've done on my car yet. The SAFC is cheapest, sure, but far from the most effective. With 680's you're already pushing the boundaries of it for injector compensation, and running the risk of sky-high timing advance, which can lead to damaging knock. Again, if you have the money, get DSMLink.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The solution is to learn to tune yourself. When the car feels sluggish, adjust accrodingly :)
Its hard to go to the dyno once and be fast for the rest of the year without touching anything.
Get an afc + logger or wideband and start tuning.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
0lmytsi said:
The solution is to learn to tune yourself. When the car feels sluggish, adjust accrodingly :)
Its hard to go to the dyno once and be fast for the rest of the year without touching anything.
Get an afc + logger or wideband and start tuning.
THANKS! After much thought I also came to this conclusion. I'll use this for now and as my needs and my pockets grow I'll be going with DSMlink.

Thanks again.

·
Honorary Administrator
17,457 Posts
An adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Safc, and wideband will get you quite far reguardless of season. I only end up making changes to my tune after drastic weather changes so maybe twice per year. The wideband will let you know of any major fueling changes that need to be done as the weather changes.

Chances are your friend had other problems that caused his loss of power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts