DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i will be doing my hg this week with a friend of mine and i want to clear things up before we tear shit up. when replacing the hg, is it a bad idea to do the zip tie method or what. i really dont want to get so involved with the tbelt honestly. the belt is brand f'in new as of 1 month ago when it was replaced with the b-belt and all the pulleys and tensioner.
according to what ive found to do the zip tie thing i adjust cylinder 1 to tdc by cranking the crank to where the cams dowels are vertical and the timing lines line up horizontally, then zip tie the belt to the cam gears, loosen the tensioner, remove the sprockets and hang them with a clothes hanger, do the head then replace the cams and re adjust the tesioner. that sound about right?
i just want to know if its a good i dea to do or not since i really dont want to get into readjusting the entire belt which makes the process that much more involved.
any help would be appreciated.
thanx
luigi

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh, am i gonna need to remove the motor mount there too? if so, where should i jack the ngine up at and using what on the jack to ensure i dont mess up wherever the jacks at?
thanx
luigi

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
also, if i am doing the zip tie method, do i have to loosen the tensioner pulley or can i get around that by just using the allen wrench in the auto tensioner and then re adjust the belt with the tensioner tool?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The zip tie method will work for cam timing but as soon as you remove the tension the oil pump and crank can move, just be careful. You will need to remove the motor mount, use a block of wood on the jack and put it under the oil pan on the drivers side. And as far as pulley versus tensioner it doesnt matter because when you readjust you will need to adjust both.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im thinkin right now that its a bad idea to zip tie it so im goin all out. now i wanna make sure i have this right before i go doin this crap myself.
ok, since its lined up correctly and the belt is new can i just crank it to tdc, mark everything with white out and then loosen the pulley and tensioner and reverse install?
if so can you guys double check my steps and let me know what im missing or dont need to do and if my oder is right? here goes:
removal:
remove the accessory belts, jack up the motor, remove the mount, remove the timing cobers, crank to tdc, mark all the pulleys, insert the tensioner tool and place the allen wrench in the tensioner hole to hold down the push rod, loosen the pulley and remove the belt.
install:
place belt back on all pulleys and line up all marks, place a .15-.18 inch bit between the tensioner arm and pulley and begin using the tensioner tool until snug, turn the pulley applying 2-3ft/lbs and then tighten, wait 15 mins and recheck the space, if ok then crank the crank 6 turns and recheck, if ok then im done. anything else when i comes the the belt you think or do i have it. i may have missed a step since its like 1 and im going by memory.
thanx a LOT for any help in advance.
luigi

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like you got the process right, just take your time and you will be fine. TurboWeege, where in ohio are you located? I'm in columbus.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,495 Posts
Weege is in Columbus too. I have met him at a couple of the ColDSM meets.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah im in marysville right now at my rents house to do the work sice their garage is paved, mine is in woodstock and it has a 6 car pole barn, but its gravel which makes it hard to do anything. sam is gonna come over to help me(dsm614) and i talked to jamie easley for a good 30mins last night to make sure what i posted seemed ok. its really not as hard as the vfaq makes it out to be since im only replacing the belt and not all the pulleys and stuff. shit, as of 6 months ago i was afraid to do my turbo swap but after ken helped me do it i can get it of and back on in like 30mins. haha. whats the saying,"dsms, turning regular people into mechanics since 1989" haha.:p
luigi

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh, btw. for those of you that have done the hg and/or the t-belt. do you have any suggestions or helpful hints. you know, anything i should watch out for?
oh, and im gonna be using the copper spray a gasket on a 4 layer evo hg, should i spray down the gasket then put it on or how does that work?
thanx
luigi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts