DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm down to the nitty gritty and need a couple questions answered. I went ahead and ordered a fresh set of head bolts since I had to mangle one of them getting it out. Mitsubishi also forgot to send the idler pulley in the kit so I am waiting on it to arrive.

1. Replacing oil seals. Some people mention you should put a light coating of oil on the new seal when installing. The shop manual does not seem to mention this. Thoughts?

2. Removal of the oil pump and balance shaft sprockets. How tight are these bolts from general experience and what is the best method for keeping the sprockets still and not damaging either the sprockets or the bearings?

3. The plate between the cranshaft front sprocket and rear sprocket appears to be a bit mangled but not too much. Anyone else seen this happen and should it be replaced or just hammered back into submission?

4. I used 3M scotchbrite pads on the intake gasket surface with no problems. On the block however there is still some head gasket residue that looks like graphite. How concerned should I be about this getting into the oil and coolant passages when I start using the scotchbrite pad? Suggestions?

5. Use of RTV on the water pump gasket. Mitsubishi says it is not necessary but it is installed that way now. I have never installed a water pump without using RTV in conjunction with the gasket so I am inclined to use it. Additionally can anyone tell me what kind of sealant is recommended on the waterpipe junction?

6. Has anyone ever had their aluminium intake anodized??? If so, share your thoughts... Anodizing BTW is the process of creating a uniform oxidation layer on aluminium by immersing the part in a bath of sulfuric acid while conducting electrical current across it. You can then optionally dye the oxidized layer immediately after the bath before a sealing bath. All the brightly colored aluminium parts you see like metallic purple blow off valves are examples of anodized aluminium. Other than increased corrosion resistance there is no real practical value other than it would look real purdy and is probably cheaper than powdercoating... A byproduct of the process is the throrough cleaning the part would get in the process. And it can never flake off since it is in the surface of the aluminium.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen Firestone
1992 Galant VR-4 #918 of 1000

1 - 1 of 1 Posts