DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone i just had a few questions..i just bought a 90 gsx and i asked this question once but i had a lil different question for yall..well the 90 gsx has bent valves and my 91 gs has a good head but was in an accident..the 90 gsx is awd and is 5 speed..the 91 gs is fwd and auto..will everything on the heads be the same when i got o swap them?..ive just heard of there being 5 speed cams so would i have to use the original cams from the head with the bent valves or not..im so confused anymore because i have mechanics telling me i need a new engine when i know i just need to swap heads..thanx for the help in advance..
chris
p.s. does anyone have an estimate of how much it would cost for a mechanic to do..i would do it myself but im a young newbie with little to no experience..thanx:D

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
i do believe ud wanna switch ur cams. get a second opinion tho =p and for a shop to do, i dont think u wanna know lol, i just had mine done cause i warped it .026inches and if the guy hadnt fucked up, (doin shit i didnt wanna get done) and have to discount me bad, it probly woulda cost me like 375$ labor to swap heads cams etc. id find a mechanic u hopefully know, and ask a quote first tho.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
isnt the non turbo engine totally different then the turboed ones? so that would make a swap impossible. or is this just for the 2gen with the 420a and the 4g63?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no no no..the gs is turbo..it just dosnt say gst on the back..sorry for the confusion..and i have 500 to spend so do you think thatll cover it??..thanx
chris

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
M/T cams r better than auto cams im pretty positive. id use the cams from the 5spd and swap into the other head. 500$? mebbe not hehe, some r gonna charge a fortune to pull a head, especially if they dont deal with dsm's much (i found that out)

its not TOO hard of a job if u can get someone with some knowledge to help, and have a manual, tells everything u need in there. but if not just call some people and get some quotes, some charge more than others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts