DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im putting 2g .5mm overbore pistons in my 91. My question is, do I have to get a .5mm over headgasket, or is a stock size one a little larger than the bore to begin with?

Also, is the stock bore the same on a 1g and a 2G?

-Dave

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've never heard of over size head gaskets, anyone else??? I don't think you would need one anyway, the piston only comes to the top of the block and the gasket is already slightly larger than the bore.

------------------
Chris Holmes
'91 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/5051
Turbo + Intercooler = The Replacement For Displacement

·
Registered
18 Posts
You shouldn't have to worry about it unless you put the gasket on and it's hangin' out over the cylinder bore. If it's not, slap it on and forget about it. A .5mm overbore is 1/2 the thickness of a paperclip, and you divide that by 1/2 to get how far out the cylinder moved when overbored. Unlikely to be in to the gasket.

Scott

------------------
DIG through the ditches, and BURN through the witches, and SLAM in the back o' ma' DRAGU-LA-AA!

·
Registered
10 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong but are'nt copper headgaskets the way to go. i've heard that they are harder to blow than regular gaskets. and summit racing sells them for the 2.0 mitsu engine.

mike

·
Registered
871 Posts
the copper head gaskets that summit sells are i believe SCE head gaskets and they are just completly flat, meaning you have to have your head "o" ringed for it to seal. without the o-ring process it will not seal at all, i made the mistake and bought on for my turbo civic and it was definitly a no go, would leak with no boost at all (9.4:1 compression).

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
18 Posts
Correct. The "dead soft" copper gaskets they sell DEFINITELY must be used with an "O"-ring. The head and block have to be machined, and the "O"-rings are Stainless wire, about .060" thick. Basically, a circular groove has to be cut in each mating surface. These are designed for like 30 psi boost and up.

Scott

------------------
DIG through the ditches, and BURN through the witches, and SLAM in the back o' ma' DRAGU-LA-AA!

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,153 Posts
ive had the SCE copper head gasket and its crap. every place that could leak did. i ended up trashing it and putting in a fellpro. works fine now

·
Registered
729 Posts
This may or may not mean anything to any one, but when i was putting my engine back together i asked Tym at Buschur if he recomended an aftermarket headgasket. He said to forget about it, that the stock headgaskets were the only way to go.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I heard from a well respected DSM owner that the best thing to do is torque the head higher than factory spec with a factory head gasket. Sounds good to me!

Jesse
99 GSX

·
Registered
729 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
the best thing to do is torque the head higher than factory spec <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm not sure how good of an idea this is. I'm sure you could get away with a small amount of extra torque, but too much could do damage.

one thing is for certain, you should always use arp head studs any time you put your head back on. The stock ones will stretch, especially if you reuse them. And if you put extra torque on them they will certainly stretch even more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts