DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has an '88 RX-7 that is very nice I may add. Well ANyways he just bought a attachment for his flip up light. Its a small intake cone and it just bolts on to you light. All you do cut away a small section on the flip up light cover and throw on the scoop. He says he has a very noticable difference in performance between the 3000-5000 rpm range. PLus it looks great. Anyways I was wondering if anyone has ever done this to a 1g DSM cause it may look really good. Ill get some pics of his car and post soon.

·
Registered
410 Posts
this headlight vent thing is on the list of products I would like to make once my business gets going. read my thread called SCREW POP-UPS headlight conversion and you will see what some of the thigns I am plannign on making. I have seen those headlight vents b4 they look good

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The only effect felt by a headlight scoop is because you are sitting on a lighter wallet.

Take a look at this picture and tell me how much air gets forced into a headlight mounted hood scoop?

Oh yeah NONE because its in a LOW pressure area on the car hood.

Headlight mounted hood scoops on RX-7's dont work and I doubt it would work for DSMs

·
Registered
173 Posts
It is cool but I dare say the flow is different when the pop-up lites are up so I don't see how it apllies directly to the flow around these "snorkels".

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
This scoop, if im not mistaken, is a NACA duct that goes on top of the headlight cover.

Like this....

And they dont do anything but look neat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone done anything else....

To the 1g flip up light....such as cutting it away slightly, or taking out the light completely.....I mean what mods are there for these kights to allow us better intake. Are there any known...???

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have been looking at ways to get more air directly to the air filter and have some ideas but it requires you to get my headlight converison when it is available:D anyhoo....... if you get teh headlight conversion you are then left with a bunch of empty space directly under the light!:eek: this is a PERFECT channel for air flow to go to the intake but you need to a big hole in the front turn signal housing. This would work great but it needs to be fine tuned and I will need to make it so that NO water can even touch the filter if you are driving in rain. so here is my plan.....

iether recycle old front turn signal housing by chopping it and adding custom molded air inlet too(this method would be more inexpensive)....OR......make a completely new front turn signal housing with an air inlet built in

I think this could be a great way to give the intake some truly FRESH air....hey maybe even a ram air type of setup :D lol but that probaly wouldnt work without a alot of pressure at high speeds

·
Registered
374 Posts
i remembered a while back i was looking into intakes for miatas and they use a cowl induction of sorts. if you look at the diagram there is a pretty big high pressure area right in front of the winshield. i was trying to think of a way that you could get and intake back there so this is just a random thing i came up with: we are trying to get more cooler air into the intake, but there is only so much air that can go through the intake and with a hacked aircan there is plenty to go around. what i was thinking is that it would be very benificial to lower the ambient underhood temps. i have seen on a few cars a scoop in the front to suck hot air out of the engine bay, and what i was thinking is that if you cut in some sort of vent in the hood as close to the firewall as possible that it would draw in a lot of cold air, maybe more than a ram air system. i know that it would be sucking in air from the vent in the front of the hood but i think that there is enough cool air getting mixed with it that it should be ok. anyone else think that this is a good idea? or is it just late and seems cool to me?
peace
-Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts