DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Spyder GST
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 2g Spyder GST, the headlights are not as bright as I would like. So I was thinking of the upgrade / modernization path. My options seem to be (1) replacing the fixtures, (2) polishing the lens cover, and (3) replacing the bulbs with brighter halogens or upgrading to LED or HID. First, while I am certainly familiar with tools, fixed my lawn equipment, built computers and the like, I am no mechanic. I am patient, however. My '99 was with my parents for a decade and I just reclaimed it. I didn't have any money (or time) to play with it, but now I do... As for ideas, I will gladly pay more for simple over complicated and time consuming. My impression of the options:

(1) new light fixtures - adds halo, led, costs about $250-300, should be bright. Will have to take off bumper and some wiring. Likely NOT plug and play with wiring. Instructions seem to be terrible. But lights look really cool. Not sure of the brands as I cannot tell if some are junk or not.
(2) polish surface lens - cost about $20, should make lens clear and remove yellow. May last a year or so. Easy to do.
(3) change bulbs to LED or HID - Surprisingly expense. Will be 2 highs and 2 lows which run about $100 to $120 a pair ($200 to $240), not including red parking lights. It should be easy to replace the bulbs. Not sure which ones, though, as they are not all equal. May have an issue with wiring/cooling, but likely still plug and play.
(4) changing bulbs with halogen bulbs - posts mention SilverStar Ultras at $50 a pair. Replacing with halogens seems like the right idea. Probably the easiest.
So it seems that replacing the lights and new halogen bulbs and polishing the lens may cost about $120 and give me close to the best result. Plus it will likely be the easiest option. New bulbs won't be yellow like the legacy cars. I was thinking that LEDs would use less energy and stress the battery / electrical out less, but maybe that is dumb.

Are there other parts of the equation that I am missing? Like the red parking bulbs, tail lights? What else do people change out? If someone has thoughts about the exact type of bulb (or that it doesn't matter), please be specific. I have zero frame of reference.

I haven't seen an 2g Eclipse in New England in years. And since most modified their 2g 20 years ago, I am a bit on my own it seems.

·
Registered
'99 Spyder GST
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
read a bit more. Seems like going HID and LED in stock reflectors is a bad idea as the light source does match the reflectors like the stock halogens. So i am strongly leaning towards Silvania Silverstar Ultras or the xrv. I will try to post some before and afters.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts