DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...i've been driving my car for a couple months now (it's my first stick) and i bogged a lot in the beginning trying to learn how to drive it...i've gotten a lot better, but it still bogs almost all of the time when shifting from 1st to 2nd (it does it when my boyfriend drives it too). i have a really heavy clutch...could this have anything to do with the bogging..and is there any way to adjust the clutch so it's not so stiff?

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
I've autoxed her car and it's totally different from the way min shifts 1st - 2nd...if i'm drag racing i can sometimes chirp 2nd, on her car...no matter how high you take the revvs in 1st gear when u shift to 2nd it boggs really bad. It's not the clutch slipping because the revvs arent' changing. it's acting like you shift way too early even tho you're shifting at 6200rpms.

·
Registered
521 Posts
could there be a leak causing the car to run rich. Does it bog like when u vent the bov. my 2 cents is its running rich.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know about the running rich part, but i don't vent the bov..it only bogs between 1st and 2nd...and the tranny isn't notchy either:dunno: i don't really mind the heavy clutch..the bogging bothers me more...

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'd investigate the clutch fluid restrictor in the clutch line. My 1997 TSi AWD was the same way. It got much worse when I changed to an ACT 2600. Removing the fluid restrictor is fairly easy to do and is a necessary on most 2G cars.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
turbo90awd said:
I'd investigate the clutch fluid restrictor in the clutch line. My 1997 TSi AWD was the same way. It got much worse when I changed to an ACT 2600. Removing the fluid restrictor is fairly easy to do and is a necessary on most 2G cars.
Did you notice a difference after removing it?? I just did a search and some people said to just leave it in because removing it may cause problems and things might break, others said to take it out. The lady I bought the car from said they had a new clutch put in it but didn't say what kind or anything...all i know is that it's pretty heavy.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The restrictor is put inside the clutch line to slow the movement of the fluid inside the line. So, when you push the pedal, it takes a tad longer than you would think to move the clutch actuator. The bottom line here is that when you try to shift quickly, the car may fight you when you try to enter the next gear.
As far as the heavy clutch, that is usually caused by the pressure plate of the clutch. I wonder what kind of clutch the last owner had installed? I'll tell you this, the factory clutch was very mushy. No resistance at all and it was terrible at launches. I would say that if you have pressed the clutch pedal in other stock DSMs and yours is still stiffer, then I would belive that your clutch kit is not a factory replacement.
The one thing that will help you reduce the pedal effort is to replace the clutch line with a steel braided line.
When you do this, remove the restrictor in the opening where the line attaches at the actuator. The line and the actuator removal will make a world of difference.
BTW, make sure to bleed the clutch line and refill the clutch's master cylinder.

Go here to check out more info on the restrictor removal.
http://www.vfaq.com/FAQlocator-drivetrain.html

Here's a link to a place where you can get the 2G clutch line. They aren't very expensive.
http://www.turbotrix.com/parts/driveline.shtml

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts