DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I hope someone helps me, my dad bought a 1993 Plymouth laser 2 years ago, it worked perfectly until the transmission started to fail, the speed shifts don't go away. The transmission was overhauled, all good, I suspect it is already an electronic fault, if anyone knows that it could be much appreciated, by the way, it is an automatic transmission.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
In this era of car and based on what you have said....the most likely thing is a TCU failure. I have a 91 TSI AWD auto in which it failed and it is similar to the ECU type failure. When the capacitors failure the voltage goes from 5V on the board to 12V on the board and fries it. Your symptons should be a really heavy clunk when you shift to drive. That is because the TCU is no longer controlling the engagement, so it clunks into gear. If you drive it will be stuck in 3rd gear (if i remember correctly) this is limp mode. If that sounds right message me and I'll update you on a repair. I have repaired a couple of these over the years.
1. Find a old/used non broken one), the hard part. Year and model do matter.
2. Buy capacitors etc from digikey (less than $10)
3. Basic soldering.

In meantime search TCU failure and check types. There is some crossover. For a long time I ran a non-AWD TCU in my car (just TSI). The shifts are so close between 2. You can even run a non-TSI just shifts will be off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts