DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 92 Talon TSi AWD
fmic
evo3 16g
3inch exhaust
550 injectors
2g mas

Before i put my fmic on, I could floor my car at it would stay at 10psi no matter what. I bought a brand new boost controlller and either i'm hooking it up wrong or it's toast. I'm not sure. I was hooking up my boost controller to my BOV line and i was told that is a big no-no, so i got a nipple welded in my lower intercooler pipe line. Hooked up the boost controller to the nipple, then went to the wastegate and the problem i'm having either way the boost controller is cranked (all the way open, or all the way shut) my boost pretty much does the same thing, goes and stays at 9psi, then builds up to 20psi and stays there.

The MBC had a picture and it said wastegate line goes on the bottom. But that made no sense to me because it needs the air pressure to push on the ball and spring, and how much force is on the spring there for regulates flow. So the bottom in the pictures shown above, shouldn't that be "pushing" on the ball and spring? And the amount of air that gets by is the amount that controls the wastegate?

HELP!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
What kind of boost controller is that? home made?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Hmm... I'm curious as to why it's designed with both nipples on the same side... Ok, here is my thought. Unplug your mbc and run with boost from the BCS, then come back with feedback, if you are still having issues, then the problem lies elsewhere. if it runs at a consistent psi level, then you have a bad mbc or its plugged the wrong way... You do have a boost gauge right?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an aftermarket boost gauge of course. Mod #1!

I did the lines the other way around on the boost controller and it stayed at about 10psi till 4,500rpm then went up to 20psi and i let off. This car did not boost creep before i put the fmic on! My wastegate is hooked up correctly and the wastegate arm is attached.. Sigh.. what to do now?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
It probably has more to do with the addition of the front mount. I would check to see if the car does the same thing if you run without a boost controller. Put it back to "stock", and see if the car creeps with just the front mount. If it does, your car likes a front mount, if not, your boost controller may be garbage.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just took out my boost controller and hooked up my lower intercooler pipe nipple to the wastegate directly and i'm boosting steady at 15psi no matter what my rpms hit. Odd?

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
I wouldn't pay that much for something like that. Especially since the cheaper options have gone on some really fast cars.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
There you go bro... Take that boost controller and shove it up the seller's ass... Hopefully you get your money back so you can buy either a hallman or joe p MBC :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think my problem is something else, i was SO tired of over boosting i hooked up the nipple on the intercooler pipe directly to the wastegate. It goes to 10psi and stops for a solid 1000rpm then still goes to around 20psi!

I have a 2g o2 housing ported, and a 2and a half inch exhaust from the turbo to the flew pipe then it's a 3inch. Is this super bad boost creep?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Sorry but you got jacked. That boost controller looks like the Ebay ones that are being sold. For half what you paid you could have gone Joe P. I started with a Joe p. and never had any issues. Now I run the Pro Z and love it and its still cheaper than what you paid for that "Thing".

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I agree with these guys, get your money back on the boost controller if you can! You could have spent less and bought a tried and true mbc like hallman or jop p...

If your still getting boost creep running off the wastegate pressure, I would suspect a bad wastegate, you can check to see if its operating correctly by disconnecting the w/g arm and seeing if it opens by putting pressure to it, "like a boost leaks test." If it is working then you have boost creep, which is not uncommon at all. A way to check for this is to run with the wastegate arm disconnected then report back if you were getting any boost when the arm was disconnected......

OH and find a new shop if they did in fact rip you off but it sounds like the problem doesn't lie in the boost controller.. <<That doesn't mean they didn't rip you off though..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I"m pretty sure it's boost creep, very sure it's boost creep. Just because of the fact it goes to 10psi stays then there creeps up to 20psi. I took off the vaccum line to the wastegate and hooked up my compressor to it. And put 20psi of boost into the wastegate line and it opens fine. : /

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm not sure if you did this yet or not, but do a full boost leak test. That could be a problem if you have a boost leak.

I agree with every when they say to get a legit boost controller. I would try and take the one that you have back, and order a nice one.

Good luck with the problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts