DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Yea if the car was brought to English, then I doubt they fucked it up.

Have you done simple things like a boost leak test or check for exhaust leaks?

Maybe I missed it but what A/F and boost gauge do you have? I have that greddy EO-1 electronic boost controller too. It's sitting under my bed collecting dust since I get better results with a simple MBC. That thing is garbage.

Did the previous owner say anything about the car having problems?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
English Racing is very reputable and great guys. I would suggest talking to Lucas in person about it. He knows what he is talking about, and has cars to prove it!

·
Registered
437 Posts
What year is your Evo? The only power added mod you have listed is the cams and mani, and I'm not sure why the cams would be 272s if you're not more heavily moded than that. Maybe the car was before you bought it, I don't know...

ANyway, 205 seems about right for an 03. Buschur said most VIIIs in general are that on his Mustang dyno. His Mustang and Pure Tuning's Mustang dyno read less than 5 whp difference... had my car on both within the same month and same mods.

Edit- NM this post, just saw the OP's post on page two.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,681 Posts
Something still feels way to vague about them telling him "not to drive it" and not explaining "why".

Either he missed some valuable piece of information while he was there, or English thinks the car is about to fucksplode.

Neither is good, both are probably true.

In comparison, when I picked my car up with cams, fmic, exhaust, pump, and a tune. It was making about 310 whp on Buschur's dyno. Previous owner went like 12.3?

It's also an VIII, but had more mods than you. But seems to be about 100+ hp higher... which does seem a little odd.

Start with compression tests, and ALL the basic stuff. Plugs, boost leak test, timing check, etc. Might find yourself a problem that makes you go - OH... duh, shit... and find that missing 30-40hp.

I've done it. Had a nasty leak that was sapping about 5-6lb/min off my numbers.
That's about 50hp. Give or take.

Which is pretty crazy when you think about it.

·
Honorary Administrator
2,716 Posts
Did you see my post?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Comparing your graph to my stock baseline, the torque curve looks perfectly normal, but your HP curve starts to drop off along with it at 4800 for whatever reason. That's normally about the point where the HP curve crosses the torque curve on a stock car. The 230 torque is also a pretty average stock Dynojet number. And based on that, my guess is that it's not cammed. Sorry guy, but I think you've been had by the previous owner. Boost is holding fine at 16psi, so I doubt there's any major leak, unless that changes in the upper 2000RPM of the graph that got chopped off.

But you still need to do all of the basic tests, because there is definitely something not right with that power drop-off.

·
Honorary Moderator
3,879 Posts
What was the reason for "upgrading the hg?"

I would think you are missing something as the stock HG would handle more than what you plan to throw at it. Upgrading it is usually not in the works for a long time.

Maybe this is a cause or obstacle in your path of determining the cause.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Comparing your graph to my stock baseline, the torque curve looks perfectly normal, but your HP curve starts to drop off along with it at 4800 for whatever reason. That's normally about the point where the HP curve crosses the torque curve on a stock car. The 230 torque is also a pretty average stock Dynojet number. And based on that, my guess is that it's not cammed. Sorry guy, but I think you've been had by the previous owner. Boost is holding fine at 16psi, so I doubt there's any major leak, unless that changes in the upper 2000RPM of the graph that got chopped off.

But you still need to do all of the basic tests, because there is definitely something not right with that power drop-off.
Torque and HP always cross at 5252rpm.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Cams may not be degreed properly. Possibly shitty regrinds that are quite off.

I am concerned that you had to leave the dyno shop with as little info as you have.

There are ALOT of things this could be. You could have a compression test done, then a leakdown. Before that I would check the mechanical timing and the spark on the logs. Those things would shine some light on whats happening.

Boost leak test is always a good idea. A boost leak would heat the intake and cause some knock but they should have caught that on the dyno.

Personally, I feel like the dyno was corrected a little "off" that day.

I am really curious as to what your flow rate is right now. That would really be a clear indicator of the power you should be making.

*goes back to his hole*

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
It must not be that pressing of a matter if he hasn't answered this thread in 20ish days.

But this is the most common problem when something is bought and not built.
Or it's possible that the moderator bashing him right scared him away from the site. Telling someone they have a little dick and that they don't know shit about cars could scare people from the site. This site makes money off of ads and people seeing the ads. When you bash someone for no real reason you chase people off the site. This in return could potential lose money for the owners of this site. The guy came on here for help, he wasn't saying he wanted to make 1,000hp he just asked why his horsepower seemed low. I believe it was a fair question to ask. There was no need to treat him how he was treated. This is an ongoing trend on this site, and another reason why people tend to spend more time on other forums.

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
Except that if you look at the date of this thread you'll see it was well before he was a "Moderator". Nice try though.

I would like to thank the Probe guy for bumping an old thread just to say it's about to explode.

The dyno graph to me shows an indication that cams are not properly degree'd. Thread closed.

·
Honorary Moderator
3,879 Posts
By all means. If you don't like it. Don't come back. Does not bother me at all. What no one here seems to realize in their infinite wisdom is that this site will still be here regardless of whether or not you or I post on it.

Also, since you all want to make your arguments about mods lately you might want to take about a second to realize that no bashing was done by a mod in this thread. That title was given long after these post's were made.

Get the fuck over it, and Frankenprobe, stop digging up old threads.

Also, Burnett. I find it funny that you post how you should be nice to people. I can remember quite a few time's you have been "that guy."

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.