DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i just recently ran into a little trouble on 490...nice cloud of
smoke came pouring out of the side's of the hood. pulled over got it towed home. i've never done more than change the oil filter so this is all new to me. i did compression tests, got between 40-50 for all 4 cyl. put 3 squirts of oil in each before testing again, this time first 3 were between 100 and 110. 4th cylindar was 90. brother say's head gasket, the car had been burning right thru anti-freeze lately. was waiting for a new radiator so i'd been running water thru it. i don't know if it matters any but i got confused when oil was splattered all over the passenger side of the engine. looked like it hit the fan and sprayed all over. i have a 91' 1.8L Eclipse. i have a picture of the current status of my engine if you ask i'll e-mail it to you. i've taken the headers off and believe the next step is the timing belt. any walk through's or tips from here on in would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks,
Gerad

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah. before i started taking it apart most i've done on a car is change the oil filter. how hard is the timing belt. a friend of mine told me to not mess with it and take it to a shop to have the timing belt changed so i don't screw my engine over.....

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
The timing belt is very easy on the 1.8's. JUst take the cover out, align the marks correctly, take out the belt and repalce it with a new one. One if the good things about the 1.8's is that the timing belt tensioner isn't an hydraulic one like the ones on the 2.0 engine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dude before you attempt any work on your car get a Shop manual...Yeah I know that 1.8's are the Easy one to work on but in seems to me in your case that you don't know too much about engine repair work...so just go ahead and get a Chiltons or better yet get both a Chiltons and a Factory Manual and you'll be better in the long run..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts