DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, here's the deal, i work for UPS and they hand out bonuses like it 's going outta style. so i just got a $500 bonus and wanna spend it on my 96 Eagle Talon ESi. but you guys gotta help me see? i dont know much about modifying..and haven't even started with the engine yet.. only the exterior , rims, etc. what is the first thing i should buy? should i get an intake, or exhaust sys? and if one of those then which kind for a FWD ESi? i want a good one not a P-O-S. so does anybody have any suggestions?? please?

·
Registered
50 Posts
go with intake then a thermal exhaust. then a hrc turbo kit.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Bro,
first step is Intake, then header, then exhaust. From their you can start fn with the motor. This setup is what everybody follows when they start.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree with 1sik, but do the exhaust before the header. The rule is work your way back to the motor from the ends (intake and exhaust) so go with a good intake like AEM and get a good exhaust, do not go with bigger piping than 2.25"!!!!! Anything bigger than that will hurt an N/A motor more than help it. Good luck.

------------------
- Trent

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
K&N filter or some other, cat-back(Thermal R&D), hiflow cat, dp. In that order.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD - modified
Live, Learn, Love and Bleed DSM...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your suggestions, it's what i figured but wasn't certain. Now do any of you know of a good place on the web to find some deals? I don't wanna spend out the wazoo...
and by the way, i'm not a bro! I'm a chic.
:)
and I love my car!

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Alright! Another DSMing babe...glad to hear it! You can try www.importhookup.com and www.importperformancedeals.com for deals of the moment and some coupons. Also, buschur racing, extreme motorsports and road race engineering just to name a few. As I noticed you have a non-turbo, I'm not too sure. But they should be able to help at least.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD - modified
Live, Learn, Love and Bleed DSM...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why would you spend money on a header (Pacesetter or other brand) if you intend to go turbo kit eventually?

Make a plan first and decide which way you are planning to go. If you intend to go turbo, don't waste money on a header that will only be cast aside once a turbo kit is installed.

Likewise, if you ever intend to go AWD, do not spend recklessly on a FWD N/A OR Turbo parts since some of the parts (i.e. the exhaust, downpipe, etc etc) are not the same and you will end up spending twice as much.

The best way to get bang for the buck is to decide what you ultimate goals are and then to plan accordingly. Once you decide which way you want to go, then you start shopping for used items on the trader pages or new parts purchased as part of a Group Purchase (GP).

Take your time and don't get sucked in trying to get everything all at once. Get one part and see if you are satisfied with the change in performance before moving on to the next step. I agree with above poster though about starting from back end and working your way forward.

Read all you can from the DSM digests (www.dsm.org) and sites such as this. Use everyone else's experiences and don't make mistakes that others have made before.

Good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
alrighty...what hub do YOU work at? I'm in engineering for UPS and I dont' get any bonuses cept xmas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok.. for one thing.. i'm not selling my car for a turbo. i dont want a turbo. i can't afford the insurance and i just couldn't have the heart to sell my babay! anyway, i dont want awd, i'm satisfied with working with what i have already. so i know what i'm planning for already. and i work at the hub in louisville, next day air. next day and second day get a lot of bonuses. the rest get the **** i think. but it's not all fun and games.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts