DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 gsx
alright guys I just droped my car pritty low and something is binding. When I give it gas it shakes and rattles pritty bad. It will roll just fine but when you get your foot in it it doesent like it.
when I raise the front back up it goes away.
Help!

·
Registered
619 Posts
How low did you "slam" it?

More than 2 inches and you're going to bind the driveshafts and end up in a world of repairs.

Raise your car to something more realistic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are you 4 real?
A few of my buds have their wheels tucked and they drive fine.
Theres are 95 gsx models also. Thats why Im confused.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yes, we "R 4 R3aL yo".

Raise your car or you're going to break shit. The drive shafts are not built to be that low. You are killing your car by making it that low.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We need lots more information here to give a useful reply:

What did you do to lower the car: (Springs\coilovers, what kind, what drop, what rate)

Did you replace the struts?

What wheel size/offset, tire size

Do you have some kind of camber correction devices?

How was the car set up before you lowered it?

I know you mentioned that you have friends that have the wheels tucked under the fenders with DSMs, but are they AWD like yours? Do they run the same size rims/tires as you? Do they use the same springs/struts/camber correction, etc? Do you see where I'm going here?

From most of the regulars on this board, you'll get the same message - lowering a DSM too much causes a multitude of problems.

A. DSMs as a whole don't have a lot of suspension travel to play with from the beginning.

B. Lowering a car puts additional stress on suspension components (struts/shocks specifically) and driveline components. You will kill OEM struts with even a mild drop. With more aggressive drops, you are absolutely going to bind the drive train components - the axles just aren't made to constantly be at the angles you get with a big drop. You will have driveline bind and you will break stuff.

It sounds like you have a combination of driveline bind and worn out struts. That's a really bad combination. It makes driving the car unpleasant, and you will break stuff soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi
do you guys think lowering a 95 RS FWD 2 inches is too much for the drivetrains or just on the all wheel models?

THanks

·
Registered
764 Posts
Also, cars are designed to carry 4 persons at 200 lbs each plus an additional 100 lbs of cargo. With all that weight the car will lower at least 2 inches. Drive shafts and CV joints are designed to handle that amount of lowering.

·
Registered
158 Posts
hey igs, i dont want to sound like too much of a smart ass, but go throw an extra 800 pounds in your car and drive it for 6 months and then tell me how wonderful the suspension is. I believe you when you say they are built to be capable of carrying that much load and adjusting to the TEMPORARY changes in geometry, but a constant change in geometry probably wasnt in mind when they built the car. As always I could just be blowing smoke up my own ass, but this makes sense to me.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Jazzie604 said:
hey igs, i dont want to sound like too much of a smart ass, but go throw an extra 800 pounds in your car and drive it for 6 months and then tell me how wonderful the suspension is. I believe you when you say they are built to be capable of carrying that much load and adjusting to the TEMPORARY changes in geometry, but a constant change in geometry probably wasnt in mind when they built the car. As always I could just be blowing smoke up my own ass, but this makes sense to me.
What you're saying does make sense, if the assumption was correct. But it's not. Cars are designed to carry 4 passengers full time.

Wouldn't it be funny if you went to buy a car and the salesman told you: "Yeah, this cars seats 4, but only for a short time. You have to drive it by yourself most of the time otherwise the suspension will break."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts