DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beautiful day, was out driving around, no problems. Came home, then had to go pick daughter up and as I turned out of driveway I heard a clunk. I drove about a block and it sounded like I had a rock inside a wheel cover (which, with OZ Racing wheels is not possible, lol). I figure this is no good, so I turn around and head home. I was hoping for the best (like a loose hub cab center) but nope. I took off the front driver's side wheel and saw that the inner boot (not the one by the wheel) on the drive shaft was ripped open and there was grease slung in places :eek: :( )
Anyhow, I need to get this fixed ASAP. Can I drive the car like this to a shop or does it need to be towed? The shop I use is about 10 miles away and can be reached either by highway or side streets. The boot and internals are already toast?? I do not want to incur futher damage yet do not want to waste $ on having the car trailered if not needed. It is a 1992 Talon TsiAWD automatic. Any knowledgable responses wanted. Thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
I know a rebuilt drivers side axle on my 1992 1.8 cost about $80 with core. I know because I just bought one. Not sure if yours would cost more since it is TSI. If you want to do the work, its not that hard if you have the right tools. If you took it to a place to get it done it would be at least double, assuming the axle is bad. If not, taking it to the shop to just get the boot done will cost about $80 as well. $10 if you do it yourself, but I can't help you with that one.

IMO, I don't think it is worth a tow, unless you have AAA or something like that. Just know that if your axle is still good and you drive it like that, you run the risk of ruining a good axle. To me, with the sounds you describe, it seems like your axle is already bad though. With it happening all of a sudden like that, I think the inner CV joint gave way which is what ripped the boot. I would drive it slow, try not to take off or stop too fast.

Usually what happens is the boot goes bad and cracks at the seams and lets dirt and grime onto the joint after all the grease leaks out. The axle is still good though, even for a few thousand miles, until all lube is gone. The axle eventually becomes damaged and you start to hear noises like that. It usually happens gradually over time in this case. But since you say it happened all at once, I think your old axle just bit the bullet.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Is the grease that's flung around your undercarriage fresh, or does it have dirt and contaminants stuck to it? Have you heard clicking before now, either turning/braking or straight line? Have someone hold your other wheel stationary while you rotate the one with a bad boot back and forth to check for play. Also grab hold of both sides of CV shaft and try to find play. If it is really bad then I would just baby it to the shop. If there isn't much play it could be salvageable with just a boot and repack of grease. A new CV is only like 75 bucks from autozone, so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, very fresh grease
noise just started, never heard before
After I jacked it up and before taking the tire off, I checked for play and had none.
I don't have AAA but have extra coverage towing on my insurance, never thought of that :eek: Will have to check coverage.
Still, two votes for driving slowly to shop. They are doing it, not me. I'm not doing that shit again, earlier this year I replaced the whole rear tire bearing housing and all links to it. What a PITA, broke bolts in half, cussed, and bled :(

·
Banned
158 Posts
Damn to bad you live in iowa. We have an axle shop here in columbia Mo that rebuilds any axle for any car in under an hour for 50 bucks with a lifetime warranty. Correst about this nice day though. It is 84degrees here in columbia. Us midwest people know that can't last too long, heck it will probably snow tomorrow.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you use your insurance, keep in mind that most tow insurance is only good for 1 tow per incident. So if you tow it to a shop and change your mind, you can't get it towed somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
drive it to the shop..you should DEFINETLY MAKE IT... i have drove like that(same condition axle) for more than a week or two and nothing happened and since you just started hearing the noise you shoud be fine

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bryanwheat said:
Damn to bad you live in iowa. We have an axle shop here in columbia Mo that rebuilds any axle for any car in under an hour for 50 bucks with a lifetime warranty. Correst about this nice day though. It is 84degrees here in columbia. Us midwest people know that can't last too long, heck it will probably snow tomorrow.
You got that right, damn Iowa and weather. It was about 70 degrees today, without a doubt highs will be in the 20s next week.
Big coweinceadence, I purchased this car near Columbia MO :eek:
I'm going to go watch the Twilight Zone now :p
Hell, I'll drive it to the shop. If it makes it...great. If not, then the insurance tow :)
Thanks Guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts