DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had to learn many things about cars the hard way. By far the worst lesson was that of the broken timing belt.

Well not more than 300 miles later do i learn my next lesson.
DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE VALVE COVER!!!

Yup as luck would have it, just when I finally installed my Buschur rebuilt block and head and get my car rolling again after the initial incident over a year ago, its time for a new lesson!
Well now the very essence of all that hard work, time, and MONEY are all, well...

Ok so i overtightened the valve cover when i was putting the car back together, "What's the big deal?!", you ask...
Well as you should have already guessed the cover is cracked. No big deal, buy a used one for cheap to replace the old one, right?

Ok well it is much worse. My original cover is not just simply cracked, it is also missing a chip that is slightly smaller than half of a dime from the inside lip of the gasket channel. I can't find the chip anywhere inside the head.

I don't know what to do!
I have driven the car for about 300 miles and sometime during those miles the chip fell of and went somewhere. I have no idea where, though. maybe i am lucky and it settled in the oil pan, but maybe it slipped into one of my valvesprings, or maybe it is blocking the flow of oil to one of the cilynders, or who knows what else!

It could be anywhere just waiting to ruin my new engine, and i don't have the time or patience to rip my entire engine apart to look for it.
Anyone have any bright ideas???

[This message has been edited by gsxalex (edited August 28, 2000).]

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Sounds like it's time to go to Carparts.com and order a whole new gasket set, cause it sound like yer gonna have to dig...

Or replace the motor...

Sorry to hear it man...

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Hey, you guys have it all planned...can I hang wit cha? Just kidding.

Seriously though, as I have been reading this, I am actually getting alot of ideas as to what to do and what order to do em in.

Thanks!

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

[This message has been edited by FastFWD (edited August 29, 2000).]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Alex I do realize that the stock motor can handle alot. Here is the way I am looking at it. The block has about 120k miles on it already. The compression is about 150 i believe when I did it last. So I figure do the rebuild but while I am doing a rebuild might as well go all out with it. Right now I have a 2.5" turbo back exhaust with testpipe. Now to let you know I have a TRE 16g that is awaiting install. I am also going to get a ported 95 manifold, ported 02 housing, external wastegate, extrude honed intake manifold, 550's injectors, fuel pump, FMIC, cams, VPC.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well folks, I did some homework and made a phonecall and both led me to the same place. The oil pan.

After checking a bit further into my shop manual i discovered that the open channels in the block are not oil feeds, they are oil drains. The oil pump pumps oil through various squirters and all the way up to the head. Then good old gravity pulls the oil back to the oil pan through various passages. The oil pump then picks up the oil again and draws it through a screen then pushes it through the filter and the cycle begins again.

In the worst case scenario the chip might partially clog an oil drain, but there are enough other places for the oil to go that it shouldn't cause a problem.

My phonecall to the helpful(but always overwhelmed) guys at buschur confirmed this.

So the lesson of the story is...
You can use your oil cap as a garbage!
(well not quite)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok mitchy, i see where you are coming from now. If you need a rebuild anyways then by all means, spend the extra buck and go bulletproof! If you are going to get the intake and exhaust manifolds done through buschur too, be sure to have them port match them to your new head at the same time.

Just as a suggestion, I think Boosted does all that same work for a similar price, and they might be closer to you, in New Jersey.

Good luck with the car!

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
You better dig for the chip before it causes serious damage to your new motor. It sucks but will be less work than if the chip stays in there and causes oil starvation or any number of problems. Sorry to hear it!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dude that totally sucks. Just curious which motor and head did you get form Buschur. And what does it come with. What mods did you get and are on the car also.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mitchy,
It is a stage III block and head. The block has forged pistons @8.5:1, crower rods, removed balance shafts,and a knife-edged crank.
The head is actually off of Dave's RWD. It is the one that got him the 9.66 E/T. After each 20 or so passes he does a head swap. I got a $1600 head for $1000. It has been extrude honed, O-ringed, stainless swirl polished valves, and i don't remember if there is anything special about the springs.

That's four grand worth of engine work.

On the other hand, that is close to how much the shops around here wanted for repairing the engine just to put stock stuff back in.

And all this is for my 14b.

my goal is to get into the 11's with a 14b.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is this car going to be only for the track. What other mods do you have and are using? What cams, intercooler, fuel system, and other mods are you using.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At present I have a K&N, a Boostedperformance modded MAS, The Denso high flow fuelpump that buschur sells, and ported 95 manifold.

In the very near future i will adding a 2.5 buschur exhaust, Boosted intake and sidemount and ic piping.

Plus some secrets that aren't bolt-on.

With these mods I WILL be in the mid 12's.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I like your way of modding, I am gonna do like the same I want to start out with a fresh block that can handle whatever I can throw at it. I want either the stage 2 or stage 3 motor and head. I was even thinking of uhauling my car out to Dave and having him install all the stuff and tuning the car. Being he built the motor and knows what he is doing. then greyhound it home and back when the car is ready and then driving the car home form his shop. Then I will be breaking the motor in on the trip home to NY.

------------------

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mitchy, this is a street car. It has stock cams. If you want one of my best sources of information go to: http://boostedperformance.com/
and talk to Dave, he is extremely intelligent. And if you do, please tell him Alex from Racine, WI sent you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok Alex I will I am thinking of doing it over the winter when he is slow and not worrying about the race season. And I will check out that site and tell him that Alex from WI sent me. And also Just want to say I am one of the few, the proud, the SENIOR DSMTALKERS.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mitchy,
That stock engine can handle a hell of a lot. If you have $4000 to throw away, be my guest. But if you want to go fast, put half of that money into the right bolt-ons, and save the other half just in case.
By the way, buschur doesn't personally work on your stuff, his shop does.

And one other clarification, Dave Buschur and Dave from boosted are two different people.

What are your performance plans for your car?

[This message has been edited by gsxalex (edited August 29, 2000).]

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nope, its a 93gsx. Why do you ask?

[This message has been edited by gsxalex (edited August 31, 2000).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
because, u mentioned dave up there with the laser, and i know some one that kows him, that drives a red 2g, just curious hehe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts