DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better to run higher compression with a pump gas safe boost level.

or

keep lower compression and run the highest possible boost setting.

which would yeild more power?
any negatives to either?

this would be on an fp green
thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
The general rule of thumb is that you can make more power with more boost than you can with more compression.

Plus, it's safer to have lower compression with pump gas.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i was looking for thank you. i would appreciate anymore info iwould love more details as i am try to get edumicated thank you

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well, it all depends really on what you are trying to do. The setup would be completely different from just street, street/strip, and just strip.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it will be street strip front mount and everything else is somewhat hazy im just trying to plan a little before i get to deep in rebuilding my engine. evo pistons sound very nice but i dont know if they are worth it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
8.5-9:1 compression is optimal for street use. Great turbo spoolup and no over heating problems. Go ROSS, Venoila, Weisco and be happy forever. I also highly recommend Total Seal rings. TNOMUD is running 10:1 from what I remember, and he occasionally has too much heat buildup for street use. -Ian

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you know what advantages (ROSS, Venoila, Weisco ) would have over the evo pistons?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Besides Forged (Ross, Venoila, etc.) vs. cast (EVO & Stock), the Ross's and Venoilas come with ceramic coatings and other bells and whistles that Mitsu pistons will not. I recommend calling Extreme or TurboTrix and discussing piston options with them. Jeff Hill (TurboTrix) was the most informative in my decision, and they are having a sale on Ross pistons this month. Good luck. -Ian

http://www.turbotrix.com/monthlysale.shtml

·
Registered
43 Posts
Stock 2G pistons can handle quite a bit of boost / power. You can run consistent, reliable low 11's with 2G pistons. Unless you're planning an all out drag car or have the extra money for 'peace of mind' forged pistons are not necessary. I just finished my rebuild with 2G pistons, I'm also running a FP Green.

-Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts