DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searching around on the forms, and some parts websites, and I could not find a whole lot about high flow cats. I live in California and I want my car to be able to pass smog. I have a 3 inch catback and want to upgrade my downpipe and cat. Anyone know where I can get a decent price on a high flow cat that I will pass smog with? Any information would be great! (especially fellow california members that have dealt with this problem):rolleyes:

Thank You

P.S. My car is a 1996 Gst

·
Registered
718 Posts
Your best option would be to run an RRE or other similar 2 piece DP (not a cat eliminating design like megan or such) and use your stock cat for the testing. After you're done testing, you can swap in any old high flow cat off ebay so if you get pulled over, you can show the cop that you still have a cat.

What my friend in cali did was to get a cat that someone was throwing away for a 2g and gut it. He would use his stock cat for inspection and then swap in the gutted cat for the rest of the year. Easy way to look stock but still have most of the performance of a straight pipe. If you're really anal about it, weld in a straight piece of tubing inside the gutted cat as i've heard that just gutting a cat but leaving the shell in can cause turbulance in your exhaust system. This is just hearsay though, i'm not entirely convinced its true.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts