DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as you guys have heard my engine has 169,000 miles.. and I am planning on getting a leak down test soon.. if it turns out ok.. I am planning on putting in some new forged pistons, rods, and some street grind cams.. maybe .10mm oversized pistons then put new rings and all that neato stuff in too.. would that be better than rebuilding it with the same old stock stuff? Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't get the question, if you KNOW that you are going to overbore the engine and put new internals in it, WHY are you worried about a leakdown test? Also, if you don't feel that you will be running in the 10's or running nitrous, why go to the added expense of forged pistons? On a street driven car, you will probably be unhappy with them. Because of the denser composition of forged alloys, the pistons "grow" more and have to run "looser" cold clearances than hypereutectic. Therefore, they "knock" until they reach operating temperature. This actually can hurt longevity, as the piston will squirm around in the bore more, causing more wear on the cylinder. Mitsubishi put oil squirters in these engines just so they could avoid the forged piston route and still have a very high output for the displacement, without reducing longevity.

Just my $0.005 (that's half sense!)

Scott

------------------
DIG through the ditches, and BURN through the witches, and SLAM in the back o' ma' DRAGU-LA-AA!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Actually you said you were planning on it, but anyway don't worry about forged pistons, just get some regular factory pistons. Do get stronger rods though. The pistons in the 4G63 can handle a lot as for the rods though....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ughh ok I was asking if the leak down results are ok.. if I could just put new stuff in it basically.. and if it would be better than rebuilding .. I dont want to rebuild my motor

[This message has been edited by AWDTurbo (edited September 02, 2000).]

·
Registered
701 Posts
>Do get stronger rods though. The pistons in >the 4G63 can handle a lot as for the rods >though....

I was told that the pistons were only ok, but that the rods, if shotpeened, can handle between 500 and 550 hp.
As far as pistons, why not use 2g pistons, they can take more, and have a little higher comp., for more bottom end torque.

-Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts