DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 eagle talon tsi awd, with 168,000 miles... I have opened up the intake and about ready to start on the exhaust.. but I was wondering with that high milage would it be a good idea to rebuild the engine first, it still runs great.. wouldnt I be getting alot of compression loss from leak down?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do a leak down test on it if your concerned about it. This will tell you the internal condition of the engine. Aside from that I might consider replacing the valve springs with a fresh set.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

·
Registered
921 Posts
well this is what I am doing =-)

100% stock TSI AWD

187K on orginal motor and trany!!!

it all starts now =-) we are going to see how far we can go before it blows apart =-)

95 manf , Port all the goodies, B shaft kit, Joe P. MBC, full 3 inch and LOT AND LOTS of BOOST!!!! =-) Should make a few good passes then the bottle if it's still alive =-P

So as you see don't fear mileage just be ready to replace it

And like it was said before if it's not broken don't fix it !!

------------------
Bill Marino
NYC DSM
[email protected]

·
Registered
62 Posts
Something to consider is that the one of the weak links of high mileage motors are the connecting rod bolts failing at high RPMs. I've known/heard of people who have thrown a rod at 140K miles. If you are planning on racing a lot this is something to strongly consider. If not then your car is fine and get a leakdown test to determine other things.

[This message has been edited by pushandpull (edited August 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
149 Posts
:D Well if I were in your situation... I would invest in a data logger. That way I could see whats good and replace whats bad before it goes out.(which could harm other components of the engine when they blow).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts