DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, sorry this is a really newbie question but... my car seems to be not responding well to WOT and although I don't think I hear any "knocking" I still believe it could be pulled timing since it feels alot like it. Anyways I use the lowest octane gas, just because I thought without any mods or anything it wouldn't matter but I'm going to go higher and see if I notice a difference. My question is.. what do I do? Just go fill it up with higher octane fuel? I don't need to do anything special like fully drain the tank? It's ok to mix a bit of the "crappy fuel" in with it? I searched but this is such a dumb question I couldn't find it, thanks!

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
just put in a higher octane gas, i always run 93 or 94 but lately ive been goin 87 cause im so god damned poor hehe =)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm a poor bastard too, but I drive a DSM so what do you expect :) Proud and Poor. That would make a nice sig!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey I don't personally hear any knock or anything and it still seems to run better than alot of other people's!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The gas cap or somewhere says "use premium fuel".
If there was 2 logs of 87 and 93, the 93 should have a much higher timing peak. I would try but I would not run less than 93.
You are missing some power, even stock...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I live in Orange County and price between octane levels are about 20 cents. Today I bought 92 from my usual chevron for 1.74. Our tanks hold like 13 gallons? So 2$ difference....if your SO poor you cant afford that difference to even keep your car running right then you need to get a honda :)

Over in Anaheim i get it for 1.67 and its 93 octane..freaking weird chevron out here. Longbeach docks all the way for race gas haha :)

If your a REALLY poor bastard theres a panel on the front of many gas pumps that flips down, then you slide a metal plate and theres 3 buttons. select then jog 8 times and you cut off the dollar value and your paying what they did for the gas in the 70s.

Dont get caught ;) Its one of the worst forms of stealing to be caught for and if they got the new touch screen units behind the counter it will beep hardcore so check first for the new IPT units.

If you want to learn more email me I know where to buy the manuals for most gas station hardware, maybe if enough people start screwing with stations they will actually update the crap

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
Dear lord this is one of the worst threads I have ever read on DSMtalk. All I have to say is thank the lord you dont own an RX7

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is funny, sorry for the "worst thread". Honestly I was just so used to buying the cheap gas with my previous cars and knew higher octane was "more" but I didn't know the difference was so little.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Wow. My car is so touchy about gas i'm afraid to boost on the 92 octane shit that comes out of Super America pumps. Amaco is the only pump gas i use.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yeah i get insane amounts of knock on 92 octane citgo and hess (I won't even go wot if I know I have those in the tank anymore), then I fill up with sunoco 93 (or if I'm feeling rich, 94) or even mobil 93 and my knock count is normal. Maybe it's the stations I go to though. I don't think it's that one measly octane point that makes the difference though... but I could be wrong.

btw, remember I'm on 9:1 n/t pistons.

mobil 93 octane... $1.50
sunoco 93... $1.54
sunoco 94... $1.59

(on my debit card... I get a 3 cent cut on gas per gallon :) )

·
Registered
117 Posts
everything is pricey and low octane out here in cali, we dont get knock tho...i think the ecu is different for the lame conditions out here....gotta pass smog and all this gayness

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quit you guys griping. I live in Italy and I pay 1 Euro per Liter if I buy off the economy. You may think that that is low but there are roughly about 4.2 liters in a gallon. Lets do the math:
1 L x 4.2 l per gal = 4.2 Euro per gallon. Then the exchange is about 1.02 dollars per euro. That is about 4.30 a gallon or so. I wont gripe a bit about paying 1.70 per gal when I get home in 2005. That is just my 2 cents worth. ;)

·
Registered
607 Posts
if you're to poor to afford premium gas in a car that requires it, please sell your car and get a commuter car.

incidently i get ~ 12-15mpg in my DSM, before my 3" turbo back i was getting 17mpg :eek:

·
Registered
926 Posts
Holy crap, I'm complaining because my gas mileage went from 30 to 24 now that I'm running mid 12s on pump :eek: 12-15? damn...

I can easily see the difference in the datalogs between 93 and 94 octane. I usually run 93 to save a bit, but on track days I use 94. When I really want to get rid of knock, I pay 7.25 a gallon for 117 octane. That hurts the wallet ;) But the timeslip IN my wallet is better, so its balanced out :D

I have heard of modded DSMs losing a motor to a GF putting 87 in teh tank... Use the good stuff to keep things safe, and stay ahead of those (40 mpg) Hondas :D

·
Registered
838 Posts
Your gas mileage really depends on how hard you drive your car, too.

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
if u constantly boost just driving yea, but once u start tuning u should get much better mileage if tuned propery, i went from 16-24 mpg after tuning =O

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tuning wont do shit for your gas milage unless your injectors are too large, or your idea of driving is above 2/3 throttle (will enter open loop). When in closed loop, your ecu should keep a perfect a/f ratio via the o2 sensor.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Not always. If you had 720's and no AFC you're gonna get horrible gas mileage no matter how you drive.... cause you're ECU will only let use the 02 reading to compensate so much... after that you'll just be blowing smoke.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts