DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am just starting with engine mods now that i have taken care of any and all mechanical problems and my lineup for mods is as follows:
open element K&N filter (already have)
2.5" turbo-back exhaust, no cat
MBC... 14psi probably
HKS cams, here i where my question comes in...
i am wondering if i should go for a set of 264 cams since they are the street cams or should i get a 264/272 combo for the more aggressive exhaust cam that is supposed to retain a stock like idle?
btw... the extent of my mods will be limited to a 16g turbo @15psi, bigger side mount intercooler and supporting fuel mods.. if that makes any difference

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
check out this recently compiled thread of various cam reviews. http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=56156

IMO you should defintely consider running more boost than 15 pounds on the 16g and ditch the sidemount for a fmic. on the street i plan to run 18/19 or so on 94 when i chuck my small 16 on. i know money is prob an issue but do some searches on the sidemount options, compares prices, and then you will see what i mean.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Go with the 264/272 Combination. If you ever upgrade to a larger turbo like a 20G or better.. you'll REALLY like what those cams do for you.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
"The most common combo is the 264 degree intake and 272 degree exhaust cam.For drag queens looking for all top end power, you'll want the 272/272 set. We don't feel that the 264/264 combo gives enough of a power increase to make it worth the cash"--RRE

im goin 264/272 for my daily driver

·
Honorary Administrator
17,457 Posts
I know it is not what you asked but just an observation. In your quest for mods you have quite a few things to worry about before cams. I am only saying this because cams are expensive and perhaps that money could be used where it would make a bigger difference....for now.

To answer your question....

AMS did a cam comparo a few months ago. The 264/272 combo was not any better than the straight 264s from what I remember. Search the net for the AMS comparison. It might shed some light on your decision.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't think there a straight answer to this never-ending question.

I've got conflicting opinions from RRE, AMS, DSMLink forums, here, other less-trusted forums, and word-of-mouth.

AMS and RRE are the only resources I've seen that have dyno sheets to back up the claims, but I've talked to numerous people that have had different combinations in their cars and the 'general concensis' (and I use that term lightly) seems to be:

- 264/272 combo yields better top end gains than straight 264s, with minimal to no perceivable difference in low-end power.
- People with 264/264 wished they got 264/272.
- People with 264/272 wished they went 272/272 after getting bigger turbos.

Regardless, I agree with green, you've got a lot of other stuff to look at before tossing a set of cams in.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm really bringing this one back from the dead.

What happened to that cam test? I remember seeing it a few years ago, now the link is no good. Also, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that people try 272 intake and 264 exhaust?

Anyway, I'm looking into getting some cams and HKS seem to be the best ones around.

Let me know about the cam comparison and the 272/264 combo.
Thanks,
Jon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts