DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh.

After an exciting run-in with a debris field on I-5 tonight, my
transmission now has a quarter-sized hole in it. The bearings were headed south on my tranny with
nearly 100k mi anyways, so it's not a complete loss. At the moment, it's looking like my insurance
company will pick up the tab for the replacement parts, so which of the
following options is best for me:

- Have dealer repair my existing tranny and replace bearings in the process
(possible?)
- Get a new OEM tranny installed by dealer
- Get some form of aftermarket tranny rebuild installed at speed shop or by
local DSM mechanic
- Something else?

My contract at work ends tomorrow, so I won't be needing to drive my
car to work everyday, but at the same time, I don't want to go for a couple
weeks without a car, waiting for mail-order parts. The car is in my
parent's garage at the moment, locked up and waiting for me to take a good
look at the damage tomorrow.

The insurance company may have special restrictions on the who/what/where
of the tranny repair, so this may all be moot. Anyways, any input is
appreciated, thx.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Sorry to hear about your debris attack. :( Yes, our roads suck horribly. Must have been a LARGE concrete chunk.

Aim for http://www.teamrip.com somehow !?! :D

If it's shot, you'll be getting a rebuilt OEM one at the cost of the insurance company - unless you can contact the fix-it shop and make some side requests... hehe

I think the way to go is to get it fixed (meaning, swapped out at the fix it shop) and then send it out to TeamRip with the money you save... depends on their workload and the time you can spare if they don't have a cross-ship.

Find a way to get a new clutch/flywheel also while the tranny is out ! :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I've been looking at the goodies on TRE's page, such as steel shift forks and rods. Everything I've heard about TRE is big long waits are no e-mail responses, though. Unfortunately, their page also says they're closed until the 16th, so I don't think that's going to fit in my time frame for getting my car fixed :(

I'll see what I can work out with the dealer, but I have a feeling they're going to fix up what's already on there and call it a day.

·
Registered
543 Posts
DAM! sorry to hear about your tranny issue, i agree our roads SUCK! i swear im slowing down every few feet on roads aroudn here to avoid dips, awkward railroad tracks or other debri, and im at stock height! a guy i know, he's on the boards, but doesnt post much, Shzaturbogsx blew his front diff. a while ago right after gettin his new clutch, so he sent his tranny to TRE and now he's paying everyday his car sits at the shop since TRE is closed. Good luck with the tranny! and update us on what you decide on. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts