DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone make or buy a LED knock sensor??? If any made one from scratch I would really appreciate the way you did it (with MANY pics!!! :)...)?

How does the 2gen BCS act? Does it suddenly dectect knock, or is it a progressive voltage measurement that can be measured through a series of green, yellow, and red LEDs? (want a nice looking LED knock sensor).

If it is too much trouble to make one from Radio Shack parts, where can I get one???

------------------
'99 GST
http://www.geocities.com/mospeed9844
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Intercooler Piping
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
GReddy Boost and EGT Gauge
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter
Front and Rear Strut Bars

[This message has been edited by mospeed (edited October 03, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Here's the link on the dsm.org FAQ page. Check the dsm.org website for most things you would need to know about a DSM. http://www.jps.net/~warranty/DSM/KnockLED.htm

The knock LED only reads when the ECU tries to activate the BCS to close the bleed when as a last ditch effort to control knock, pre-fuel cut, boost onset softerner. The actual knock sum values are in the ECU, and can't be easily extracted. The knock LED signal is basically only on and off. It is extremely easy to do, though if you get a bright LED, make note that on a 2G, it blinks between 2700-3500 RPMs, so it might get annoying when crusing at night.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>In the 2-3 years since I've installed the knock LED, I've never seen it light up under any condition.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems pretty pointless then doesn't it???

------------------
'99 GST
http://www.geocities.com/mospeed9844
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Intercooler Piping
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
GReddy Boost and EGT Gauge
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter
Front and Rear Strut Bars

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
No, it's not pointless. If you get it coming on full, while you're NOT at 2700-3500 RPM, then you know you have a problem. You can probably set up a signal processor to only turn on a light when the BCS is not being fluttered, but it's a little more effort than I'm willing to spend.

AWDkitkat,
It's okay to have your BCS disconnected when you have an MBC. You do however have to then assume the responsibility of making sure there's no knock, ie don't run low octane gas, too much boost, etc. Otherwise, you CAN get a solenoid valve that is closed when not powered, and open when powered on, hook it up parallel to the MBC and up to the BCS wiring, so that when the ECU powers on the BCS to control knock, it will power up the solenoid valve, open it, bypass the MBC and allow the manifold boost pressure to get to the wastegate actuator directly.
Note, I haven't done this myself, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts