DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Don't mind some of these vets. I'm new to the board, but I say if your subs are only about 200 watts get an amp with high level inputs and tap the singal off the rear speakers into the high level inputs on the amp. That's what I did and the subs sound great. I would imagine if the subs need more wattage you might have to replace your head unit to get rca outputs for a cleaner signal.

I ran 10 gauge power wire from the battery to the spot under the top side panel and hood into the car then tucked the wire under thata plastic floor trim stuff the into the hatch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You need to get a high-low level converter. A company called PAC makes them, and it's model is the SNI-35. Just be aware that you run the risk of ground noise (some times you get it, some times you don't). If you hear a hum through your subs, then you need to get a deck w/ composite (RCA) outputs. Alot of people run 10 gauge wire and have no problems with it. Personally I run no higher than 8. If you ever upgrade amps, your wire can handle it, and it certainly doesn't hurt your amp to give it 8. Just think of your power wire as a water hose. The larger it is, the easier it is for water (power) to flow. I have 4 gauge to my amps right now. Also, make sure that you run the same gauge power and ground. Keep in mind that your stock deck does not have a remote turn on lead, so you are going to have to tap into your ignition for your amp to turn on and off with your car. If you turn off your radio you may start hearing a loud hum. This problem can't be fixed. The only thing you can do is turn your volume all the way down, instead of turning your radio off. This will still send some kind of signal to your amp (although not audible to the ears). Sorry for the long reply, just wanted to make sure you what is entailed using a stock deck. I have ran my subs of the stock before and have had no problems, but you never know. Right now I am lucky enough to run them off a KVT-911DVD (kenwood dvd, monitor).

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Monster cable also makes a high/low level converter. It works very well. It is actually designed for higher power stock systems for the addition of a sub amp. It will also send a 9 volt signal to the inputs on the amp, (this is a good thing). Makes for a cleaner signal. You should'nt have any problems with noise either if you use this converter. heres a link for more information. http://www.monstercable.com/caraudio/main/index.html They have 3 different models. One is a dedicated for sub use. The only drawback is that they are more money then the rest of the ones on the market.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts