DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pick up a set of tires for my 16's. Going for either a 26x9.5x16 or a 255/50/16, essentially the same. Ideally, I would be going with a full slick or at least QTPs, but seeing as this car will still see some street time, I do not wish to go with a bias ply.

So here's the question, has anyone ran the Hoosier DOT Drag Radials? In a perfect world, someone would have ran these, the QTPs, and the Mickey Thompson ET Street DR and could give me a comparison on the three. The QTPs just as a reference. So what do you guys think, Hoosier or MT when it comes to Drag Radials?

The car will have a BW S374 installed on a 2.0L, tuned on AEM. Eventually it will see spray as well.

P.S. No, I do not want any suggestions to run Nittos or BFG.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind, I found basically all the info I needed on other forums.

Basically, they grip nearly as well as the QTP. Better that the MT.

Pros: Softer compound, more traction, more expansion (higher traps), lighter by 9lbs for the 255/50/16 that I want (no steel threads)

Cons: Wears faster, less rubber to begin with, softer sidewalls, no rain traction whatsoever.

Basically everyone that runs them get about the same 60' as when on the MT, but they are more consistent. They do expand, so they will require some more clearance, but this will net higher traps as well. But with only nylon belts, I'd be worried about driving them on the streets, with random debris in the road. But they are much lighter.

I am personally going to go with the MT, they have net nearly identical times and need no warming up. People still tend to like them more for street driving, and yes, you can commute in them. I take the car to school with me, a 220 mile trip, so I need the car to get down fairly easily, aside from my 8 gallon cell and 3.5" exhaust and the soon to be s374 setup...hahah. Good thing I have an integra to commute in while I'm there.

Hope this helps others out that were considering this setup.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A little more info...

A below 20psi pressure, the Hoosier DR would float a bit. If ran at standard pressure, they would be fine. They are also made of the same compound as the QTP, so it makes sense that they nearly grip the same. The benefit of going to a QTP is that the tires will absorb more of the shock load because they will wrinkle.

After watching my buddy launch his evo many times over the weekend, I am convinced on the quality of the compound Hoosier uses. He was running 10.5 @ 135mph and the tires were set at 20psi, we never had to drop them down as he never spun even the slightest.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Good info, buddy. Just for comparison, last year I was doing 10.8 @ 135mph on Kumho MX 225/50 x16 and I had to baby it in first gear or else the tires would just smoke. I would get slight wheelspin in second gear, but it was controllable and the car pulled hard. So it looks like the Hoosier's are much stickier.

I ran the Nitto DR (same size) right before I got the MX's, and traction was about the same.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the Nitto DR are pretty garbage. Granted yes, better than most street tires, but the worst out of the DR out. From worst to best:

- Nitto
- BFG
- MT
- Hoosier
- M&H

It's a toss up between the hoosier and m&h though. I haven't done enough research to find any solid results on the m&h

·
Registered
434 Posts
good info guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.