DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
n0rthendtr00per said:
You're screwed. Not going to lie. Best way to deal with that is go External on the o2 housing means you can rip out the flapper and not worry about the crack anymore.
So basically I got ripped off?? I don't want to spend more money on an external.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Weird. Why are some people saying its fine and others that its not...Who to trust??:dunno: Ive heard "when you are building boost that the waste gate flapper is partly open anyways to maintain the boost level you want.

if anything it should help you eliminate some creep." That makes sense to me?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Every car is different. When I pulled off my 16g the wastegate had cracks around the seal as well. Mine weren't as bad, but you have to think about what is actually going on inside there. Mine was working fine, yours could too. Yours could also work like garbage. Best thing to do now is throw the thing on and see what happens, since you already have it....unless you can get your money back. Either way, cracks are going to develop no matter what.

....those are some really nasty cracks, though. Can you weld something like that? ....prolly not.....:confused:

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Get your money back. Cracks those deep will more than likely affect the performance of the turbo in one way or another. If you're looking for another 16g hotside, I've got one. PM me for details.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Smoise22 said:
Weird. Why are some people saying its fine and others that its not...Who to trust??
With this statement above, it is obvious that you don't completely understand the operation of an internal wastegate. Who to trust??? Yourself once you gain the information.

The crack is located on the internal wastegate flapper gate. The gate is there to keep exhaust gases from exiting out that hole until the desired boost level is achieved.

Example:

If you have a 10 PSI wastegate spring, then when boost pressure reaches 10 PSI, the gate will open. It won't open at 5 PSI, not even slightly open as long as the wastegate is working properly. This is so that you can reach the desired boost level as quickly as possible.

Now with those cracks in the wastegate port, you now have a constant exhaust leak that allows some of the gases away from the turbo. You want 100% of the exhaust pulses turning the turbo. If 20% of the exhaust pressure is leaking out the crack, the turbo will spool 20% slower. That's not even the worst part, because the turbo will need to work 20% harder to achieve the desired boost. The harder the turbo works, the more heat it creates which will cause your intercooler to heat soak earlier and promote harmful detenation to the motor.

Now, do you think it is OK to have those cracks?? Trust yourself yet??

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
jeffgst said:
With this statement above, it is obvious that you don't completely understand the operation of an internal wastegate. Who to trust??? Yourself once you gain the information.

The crack is located on the internal wastegate flapper gate. The gate is there to keep exhaust gases from exiting out that hole until the desired boost level is achieved.

Example:

If you have a 10 PSI wastegate spring, then when boost pressure reaches 10 PSI, the gate will open. It won't open at 5 PSI, not even slightly open as long as the wastegate is working properly. This is so that you can reach the desired boost level as quickly as possible.

Now with those cracks in the wastegate port, you now have a constant exhaust leak that allows some of the gases away from the turbo. You want 100% of the exhaust pulses turning the turbo. If 20% of the exhaust pressure is leaking out the crack, the turbo will spool 20% slower. That's not even the worst part, because the turbo will need to work 20% harder to achieve the desired boost. The harder the turbo works, the more heat it creates which will cause your intercooler to heat soak earlier and promote harmful detenation to the motor.

Awesome explanation. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jeffgst said:

Example:

Great stuff, thanks for the information! I had just thought there was always some air flowing threw so it "might" be okay. I asked the guy for my money back but he told me it was sold "as is" which wasnt part of the agreement but I guess I should have asked about the hot side before I bought it :chair:. Anyways now the search starts for a hot side...thanks again!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
While this is not quite the same problem, I figure someone would know the answer to this: How does a waste gate flapper arm get bent to the point where the flapper doesn't cover the whole hole, and how do you fix it? Can I bend it back?

If you'll notice, there's a small, crescent shaped opening on the right side of the WG flapper. Ideas?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.