DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is it to remove teh Exhaust Manifold? I can take the turbo off, but I have broken the far left stud on the exhaust manifold, so that scares me to take any more off. I have a slight leak on the manifold itself, and I have yet to port it out either, so I am curious as to how hard it is to remove, because I want to port it and fix the few leaks.

How hard is it going to be to replace that broken stud?

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
All of mine in my 95 came right off (the nuts) with no problem, as for replaceing the broken one...i couldnt' get the drill in straight and i was unable to remove that one so i just left it off.

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, anyone know how I can go about repairing it then? I have a slight exhaust leak around the gasket there, as I can see from the black soot that will appear, so I know its not a good thing. Id kinda like to do all this over winter break which is coming up in a little over a month, so anything that I need I need to prepare for now. Any others have any comments on removing this exhman?

·
Registered
511 Posts
It can be very easy to fix them IF the old stud can be removed without damaging the threads in the head. Remember the head is aluminium and those threads break verrry easily. When my 1990 was stock I had 3 studs break off during removal, and one was broken too close to the head for removal with a vise grip. I tried a screw extractor and the screw extractor broke off in the hole that I drilled to remove the stud. Then I needed to get a cobalt bit to drill a hole in the screw extractor and it was a mess. I finally got everything drilled out and used a heli-coil kit. Sadly, it never held the same and always leaked from that point on.
Here's all the things you can do to remove them safely:
1. start up the motor and get it to normal temp, then shut it down.
2. soak the nuts/studs with PB Blaster (greatest stuff on earth)
3. keep it soaked with PB Blaster for 15-20 minutes so it can work all the way in. The PB Blaster my sizzle off from the hot metal but the heat will help the metal separate when you turn the nut.
4. remove the nuts slowly with gradually increasing torque...be carefull!

If they have already broken off then a pair of vise grips are your only hope. Sorry.

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
Mine broke off flush with the head and all i did was make it worse tryin to get it out...i just put some ultra copper on the gasket when replaced it and it stopped leaking...

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
if it breaks flush.. that's the worse.

You can try to get it out (ez out) if you can get a drill straight in there.

It usually breaks if you go crazy on the thin ez out..

luckily the time that I broke it was also the time I was going to remove the head... the machine shop removed it not a problem.

I think soaking with PB blaster is the most important part. It's better than liquid wrench IMO.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
BTW, I'm going to remove my 1 year old new studs/nut set. Will I have any problem with breakage? Hopefully this will be the last time to have this fear because I'm removing it to put in the SS studs kit from FFWD. A little pricey but it's worth it if I don't have to worry about it anymore.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Seeing as how I work in a performance exhaust shop I might have some insight here.

Ok, for those of you who are going to remove them:
Follow Turbo90awd's advice; let the car get to normal operating temp then soak that bitch in PB Blaster (or similar penetrating oil).

Never, I repeat, NEVER try taking the manifold off when the engine is even warm. Everything should be cool to the touch.

If you have access to an oxy/acetylene torch, then heat up the nut, until its red-hot and then try to take it off. If it starts to move, take it off as fast as you can (don't use an impact).

For those of you who broke a stud:
You can try to drill and easy-out. Make sure you use a center punch to indent the center of the stud, so you get a good hole.
Again penetrating lube, see above.

If you don't feel comfortable drilling into your head, take it to a reputable exhaust shop (not midas or another chain, they are usually sad). There they can actually weld a nut to the stud and extract it that way.

If you’re replacing the studs, use stainless (if you don't want to worry again). Instead of using lock-nuts (hate those things) use a regular nut with a lock washer. You will be much happier if you ever have to remove your manifold again.

Rogue

·
Registered
778 Posts
there is a comprehensive thread on broken stud repair. It was about a month or 2 ago.

Joe

·
Registered
230 Posts
hehehe i tore apart my exhaust mani, and turbo ..only to find out that i also have 3 broken studs in my head....

:(

so now i have a weekend project...

J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts