DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each cam gear has two marks, one at 3 and one at 9(with the dowel pin pointing at 12). Should A ruler go through all FOUR marks, or is it that just the two in the middle should line up?

I just aligned it as best I could, fired up and it sounded fine but as I opened it up NO power at all, but no vibration either.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The dowel pins should face up and the two center marks should point directly at each other. Use the head gasket as a reference point.

Right now you probably have one cam off by a tooth.

·
Registered
140 Posts
hmmm. I have the same problem. Everything is aligned but it doesn't have as much power. My exhaust was off like 2 teeth before and i had a misfire. Runs nice now but not as much power.

Anybody have a answer to this myth??

Just the two marks on the outside of the cam gears should line up. If those line up then your cam dowels will be at 12oclock. They will look like they are in a straight line. If you place a ruler across the cam gear bolts (very center), the line on the cams should be in line with this. not the dowels. Like i said the dowels go on the top at 12. Do a member search on my screen name and you will find almost any answer to your questions! hah I think i asked too many questions when i did mine. I was just as confused as i can tell you are! good luck man.

hahahah, by the way... nice screen name.:p thats pretty funny!

·
Registered
548 Posts
hmmm. I have the same problem. Everything is aligned but it doesn't have as much power. My exhaust was off like 2 teeth before and i had a misfire. Runs nice now but not as much power.
Each tooth is about the same as 14 degrees. I hope you didn't f-up the valves.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Slightly bent valves= from slightly to alot less power. This sounds like a job for a leak down test man.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
1 tooth is ~7 degrees, and being a tooth off won't screw up the valves.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, although my question still remains.

On the Exaust cam there are 2 marks ( aprox ? 3 and 9) and intake the same. I cant seem to align so that a ruler will pass through ALL FOUR POINTS.

is it just the two facing inward that need to be aligned or should a ruler intersect all 4?

as for bent valves, I would think the valve has to make contact with the cylinder head. in other words dont think the motor can turn.

·
Registered
132 Posts
They won't all 4 align. The cam sprockets are universal so that either one can work for the intake or exhaust cam. The two marks that face toward each other are the ones that are supposed to be lined up when at TDC.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i was never able to line up all the marks. i line up three of them and let the exhaust cam be retarded 1 tooth. either the top of the head isnt level(it is) or the decking of my head changed the place were the cams line up.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think he knows that they won't all 4 align dsmaniac.

I know what you are saying. That when you align the 2 marks to each other with a straight edge across the sprocket bolt centers they are all lined up. But when you want to put the belt over the gears, the belt teeth don't allow perfect alignment. You are forced to move 1 of the gears 1 way or the other, by one notch. I am sure that alot of these guys have been down that same road. You just don't notice unless you check it with a straight edge. I always allow my exhaust cam to be 1/2 a tooth advanced. Never had any noticable performance losses or gains like that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clockwise = advance. correct?

was just looking at it again now, what you said POS made sense, one gear will have to be adjusted so the belt goes on.

Ill go by the way you have it, align the intake cam *perfect*, then move the exaust cam for the belt.

Just gotta tell me which way is ADVANCE

·
Registered
548 Posts
clockwise = advance

·
Registered
560 Posts
Big Red 211 said:
clockwise = advance
I take the variance up with clockwise (advance) on the exhaust cam. Its not really 1 full tooth anyways, so its a minimal advancment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I tryed having the exaust 1 forward (i think....) i did the best I could to align them tryed it like that ..... sounded like crap and no power. well not crap, it just doesnt sound like the engine is in time. not a steady humm. Ive tryed a few times - taking off tension and adjusting by one tooth, then again with the intake cam. I cant seem to get it right.

well tomorow ill have more fun with this, mayby you guys can give me some more hints on aligning it. I found that its impossible to tell if its in line with the clynder head, because of the angle you have to look at it.

hope someone can help

:mad:

·
Registered
548 Posts
If I remember right I used the head gasket as a guide. I also had the motor angled upwords as far as I could get it and that really helped.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I used a mirror and a ruler. I put a mirror on the fender area and lined the marks up with a ruler. You don't have to mess with engine mounts and car jacks again.

Good luck.

just my $0.02

Stevan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts