DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a timing belt chang on a 92 GST (6 Bolt). I wanna replace the crankshaft seal, how does it come off? Do i slightly pry it off?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
If you can remove four bolts you've got the pulley off. The trouble is you haven't even started yet. Go view the timing belt section at http://www.vfaq.com/

·
Registered
459 Posts
The pulley just has 4 bolts that hold it in, but to get to the crank seal you need to take off the crank sprocket. What i used to take mine of was a bolt type puller, like a steering wheel remover.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe i wasnt clear enough. I was meaning the whole sprocket to get to the seal.

What is a bolt type puller?

·
Registered
450 Posts
you have to remove the bolt in the end of the crankshaft. You have to break it loose with a 1/2 inch breaker bar. The cogs should just come right off. The seal is behind them. REMEMBER TO PUT THAT BOLT BACK IN, THATS HOW I DESTROYED MY ENGINE THE FIRST TIME.

Sam

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
indy1979 said:
you have to remove the bolt in the end of the crankshaft. You have to break it loose with a 1/2 inch breaker bar. The cogs should just come right off. The seal is behind them. REMEMBER TO PUT THAT BOLT BACK IN, THATS HOW I DESTROYED MY ENGINE THE FIRST TIME.

Sam
I've had the cog stick - maybe a little rust . Anyway, a steering wheel puller is what I used.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,894 Posts
stevo said:
What is a bolt type puller?
A metal fixture that has holes or slots in it for you to put bolts through so they can be threaded into the item your pulling and a threaded center hole with a bolt you tighten to apply pressure.
Like a gear or bearing puller without the gripping arms. I think I had to use my gear puller to pop the crank sprocket loose after removing the crank nut via the starter. The crank nut was 22mm and I wedged the 22mm wrench on the lower control arm and blipped the starter while the timing belt was still on. Don't forget to loosen the water pump pulley bolts while the acc belts are still on.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts