DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Cap back in June. I took her out for a spin for being down for 2 weeks and jesus. She would climb the temps like no other. Even at 55mph she would still climb.
I'm almost 100% its the cap but can't believe it because its only 2 months old.

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
Explain to me how you think the cap is causing the temps to climb?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
n0rthendtr00per said:
Hmmm. Should I replace it with a 175?
There really cheap, worth a try anyway.. I remember reading something about not putting a cooler t-stat in than stock but I did and havent had any problems..:dunno:

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
If coolant escapes from it, I would asume so.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Use a pressure tester if you have one. Pressurize the cap to see if it holds pressure. Im not sure where you bought the cap but that would rule out the fact if it is indeed crap.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I can see a cap fail, for I came off of a 400 mile trip in my ride and about 5 miles from home on the freeway, my gauge suddenly went into the RED and I immediately shut it down and let it sit for a few. I then crept it to the nearest gas station and most of the coolant had boiled out of the radiator into the overflow bottle.

The cap wasn't holding pressure since I could easily take it off (standing to the right and behind and turning the cap around using a screwdriver).

After I refilled the system, temp level returned to where it should be and I managed to get this thing home..

Cap is a bit on the old side. Time to head to NAPA Auto for a new cap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts