DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im sorry im new to the site...my question is simple how hard is it to swap a GSX engine i have 95 gsx with 185K and i gotta another gsx engine with 40K i wanna do a swap..is there anything i should know before i start this project? thanks

·
Registered
634 Posts
What year is the engine you are swapping in?

If it's a 1994 and below year then you'll be doing some computer and wiring work in addition to the normal labor.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If your dropping in a 7-bolt it should be fairly straightforward, no problems.

However when dropping in a 6-bolt (Which I recommend doing instead) You should follow this.

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/1g2g.htm

Tells you everything you need to know. Your going to need to buy 500+ worth of parts though, but it is worth it.

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
if its another 7-bolt, drop and replace, if its 6-bolt, with 40k, more work, but much better choice =)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im guessing its the same engine..so if it is i shouldn;t have any problems with it huh?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Ferhat007 said:
Im guessing its the same engine..so if it is i shouldn;t have any problems with it huh?
More than likely it will be a straight forward install. If you run into problems along the way- you can always post something here :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys i love this forum thank god i found it..cuse you guys are gonna hear from me a lot..Im like Tim the tool man but the car version...i seem to fuck up something everytime hehe:)

·
Registered
332 Posts
i got the same question. my engine has 122k on head "and car" and 92k on the block, and im getten an engine that has 33k. my car is a 95 talon tsi but has already had the magnus motorsports swap done by the previous owner who had crankwalk. the engine im getten is from a 93, so what parts would i need to swap over to the 1g engine? thanx

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
If all of the conversion stuff was already done, wouln't it be pretty much a straight swap and replace?

·
Elite DSMtalker
906 Posts
It's a straight swap out. My recommendation is to remove it with the tranny still attached. Bolt the tranny to the new engine and slide it in with a cherry picker.

The swap itself is not hard. Making sure you don't fock something up is a different story.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Do you have to tilt the motor a lot to get the engine out with the tranny still attached, do you remove all the pullies and whatnot for more clearance, or does it just yank straight out with everything still attached??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts