DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about doing the T-belt and all related stuff on my N/T 2.0 A/T. I have the patience and time to do it all but am worried about screwing things up. The most extensive work I've done on dsm's is a turbo swap and other misc stuff. Am I up to doing this job without any trouble?

·
Registered
167 Posts
It would be good if you had somebody guiding you or showing you for the first time. Get a service manual. They have step by step procedure. As long as all the marks line up, you got nothing to worry about. Just make sure you spin the motor by hand 3 times before you start it and make sure all your marks are lined up. The first time i did my 1st gen, it took me about a bit over 5 hours for the whole procedure. Make sure you change your water pump while you are there.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you have the time,Place,Tools,and FSM,its not that hard.I have done probably 5 belt changes over the years,and have yet to do it wrong.
I suggest some "Bulldog Clips" for keeping the belt in place,and be sure to replace the rollers,and if you have the funds,it wouldnt be a bad idea to replace the tensioner assy as well.IF memory serves,the Water pump is in there also,and replacing it is a good idea as also( get a NEW one) not reman....:tat:
The hardest part Ive found is taking all the crap off to get to the belt.Once its all off its pretty much a no-brainer.Take your time,check,-recheck,have a beer,and re-check again.Be sure all the torque values jive...etc:D

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Definitly replace the tensioner! I almost had a belt jump on me a few jobs back after reusing the oem tensioner.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Get a manual and make sure you follow the instructions. Its not that hard, but its one of those things where when you mess up, you mess up. You could end up not doing it right and blowing your motor (bent valves). Good luck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Btw if your mechanically inclined i'd say go for it. If not, if you have no kind of mechanical expierence what-so-ever, id just pay someone.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Im tearing mine down right now for the head/timing belt and I can vouch for the "It can blow your engine" statement though mine was just old. :rolleyes: I am at the crank pulley right now and nothing that bad has come up. Take your time, dont lose bolts and you should be fine!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just did my eclipse its a 420a and I was a little overwhelmed at first never having worked on a DSM before, granted motors are motors But I used to work on nothing but nissans. I did some research on here and some of the people on here gave awesome pointers and were very helpful so I gave it a go. I went with the partsdinosaur.com mechanical conversion tensioner and belt kit and did it successfully, its easy if you take your time and have patience a second set of hands for like 5 mins help out too. If you have swapped turbos and such I think you should go for it just to gain the knowledge, just be patient and dont guess, If you dont know get on here and ask its better to be safe than sorry the main thing is triple check everything before you start the car. If you have any questions or need help feel free to pm me Ill be more than happy to help out.

·
Registered
593 Posts
It's easy I changed my top end due to my timing belt jumping time and having no knowledge of how to do it. Just keep track of bolts, disconnect your battery, whatever you think might look worn, replace, make sure your tensor is holding the belt tight, and most imporantly have everything lined up correctly and recheck and recheck again. Perfection is key! IF your one tooth off probaly won't damage much, if anything but you car will perform terrible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts