DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a round K&N filter in my car, similar to FIPK.

I was wondering how often or when are you supposed to wash and re-oil it, I heard you shouldn't wash it too often because it will weaken the filter material or something, even though they are supposed to last a lifetime.

Does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think you're supposed to do it once a year or something...I need to do mine soon.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,496 Posts
I clean mine when ever it starts to get a pinkish brown color. I can't give you miles or time because sometimes i will drive 3000 miles in a month and sometimes i drive 300 and i don't really pay attention to milage when i clean it.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
This is gonna depend on your environment and the amount of mileage that you put on the vehicle. Theres no REAL answer to your question.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I remember reading the instructions from K&N, it said that the filter cleans better as it gets dirtier. I guess more particles to trap more dirt. They said not to clean it more than once a year for normal driving.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I clean mine every 3 or 4 months.It looks like theres not a lot of dirt on the top ,but when i turn mine over, theres one or two huge black dirt spot on it.:(

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
K&N instructions say to clean it every 10k miles if I recall correctly... of course with the standard "your mileage may vary" clause... service interval depends on driving conditions, but 10k is average.

·
Registered
838 Posts
the box for mine says 50k to 100k ???!!!
are they smoking crack?
I clean mine when it gets really fugly. You don't get good scores at shows if there's clods of dirt hanging off your air filter. I'd imagine it's not great for performance either.

·
Registered
548 Posts
HAH, I was right, this is straight from their web site

20. How do I know when to clean the filter?

The general rule of thumb is that the filter needs to be cleaned when the dirt build up gets as thick as the wire mesh. The usual interval is 30,000 - 50,000 miles depending on driving conditions. We recommend that you check your filter about once a year in normal usage.

http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#19

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
Well apparently, I don't recall correctly! :D 30k it is.

I just do mine when I look at it and say "Hey... that's too much dirt." 15k was enough that I thought it was too dirty.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Turbocharged cars suck a lot more air in 30k miles than an N/A car... I change mine when it looks 'too dirty', which comes to about 10k miles.

-craig

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright guys, the K&N FAQ says it can be washed about 25 times
so if I wash it once a year, it will still last 25 years :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts