DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a really cheap 1.8L transmission and was just wondering if it was possible to put it in my 2.0L talon...it says on the page it will only fit 93-94 talons :(....if you know anything on this subject plz tell me what the best thing to do is...I dont have enuff money to get a rebuilt tranny. thnx

·
Registered
838 Posts
it will fit, all you have to do it make the holes for the starter bigger, so the starter's a little farther away from the flywheel, cause the 2.0 uses a little bigger of a flywheel... and use locktite or even superglue on those starter bolts once you tighten them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The flywheel from a 2.0 unfortunately will not fit in the 1.8 tranny, I had a 1.8 tranny in my car before I converted it to a turbo. When I got the fidanza flywheel for the 2.0 it wouldn’t fit in the 1.8 tranny so I had to purchase a turbo tranny. It was a better choice for me since I converted to a turbo anyway. I have no idea where my buddy got the flywheel that bolted up to the 7 bolt 2.0 block and still fit in the 1.8 tranny. I believe that it was custom machined to fit.
P.S. I still have that flywheel lying around and don’t know what to do with it. :)

·
Registered
838 Posts
ah, i should have explained myself better.
I was referring to the 2.0L n/t flywheel, not the 2.0L turbo flywheel. It's true the turbo flywheel won't fit. The 2.0L n/t flywheel will fit though, It's alot smaller than the 2.0L turbo one. It's only a few mm larger than the 1.8L flywheel, actually. Also.. you can't use the 1.8L flywheel or clutch on the 2.0L engine (or vice versa), because the 1.8L is a five bolt. The 2.0L n/t clutch and flywheel fit right into the 1.8L tranny though, the only thing you have to modify is those holes for the starter.
The 1.8L and 2.0L n/t cars use the same tranny code (f5m22), but the turbo fwd cars use a different tranny (f5m33 i believe).
This is all only applicable to 1g's, the 2g's are way different.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ubomber said:
The flywheel from a 2.0 unfortunately will not fit in the 1.8 tranny, I had a 1.8 tranny in my car before I converted it to a turbo. When I got the fidanza flywheel for the 2.0 it wouldn’t fit in the 1.8 tranny so I had to purchase a turbo tranny. It was a better choice for me since I converted to a turbo anyway. I have no idea where my buddy got the flywheel that bolted up to the 7 bolt 2.0 block and still fit in the 1.8 tranny. I believe that it was custom machined to fit.
P.S. I still have that flywheel lying around and don’t know what to do with it. :)

I hope that you guys are not talking about a 2gnt because it does not have a flywheel saperate it uses a modular clutch system the pressure plat is rivited to the clutch and the only way to change that is with UR but anyway good luck

p.s any tips for a head gasket replacement on a 1.8

·
Registered
838 Posts
Under the person's nick in the left column is the type of car they own.

Don't worry.
We were talking about 1g's.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts