DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my slave cylinder is leaking clutch fluid. i could see a bead of fluid coming out of the hydraulic line that attaches to the brass looking banjo bolt on the slave. how the hell do you take of that hydraulic line? the bolt is way too tight..already stripped that goddamn thing. to loosen it, i turned the wrench towards me (as if the wrench is hanging down - towards me to loosen and away from me to tighten). am i turning it right or is the nut that tight and a pain in the ass to remove?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think your talking about the 12 or 14mm bolt, i'm talking about the 10mm one.. the one thats on the hydraulic line.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
You need a 10mm line wrench for that fitting. A regular open-end wrench will just slip off and strip the fitting (like you may have already done). It's worth it to get a set of Metric line wrenches if you do a lot of work on these cars.. after doing brake lines, clutch lines, fuel lines.. you'll realize you use them a lot and the job is a lot easier when you have the right tool.

You can try vice grips though, crank em down real tight so you don't strip it worse than it already is. Then once the fitting is loose, take a flat file and clean it up so you can use a 10mm wrench on it again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When you get that hydraulic line off the slave, remove the banjo bolt fitting, slide the fitting back an inch or so, & check to see if the line is cracked. I just had this problem today, & I thought it was the slave, turned out to be the line. $80. for the tow, $2. for the line! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thx for all the advice all. i'm gonna go ahead and get a new hydraulic line with the slave. i just found out that the other end of the line is also a pain to take off! who the fuck tightened all these....a goddamn gorilla? ugh!

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
spltscnd98gst said:
thx for all the advice all. i'm gonna go ahead and get a new hydraulic line with the slave. i just found out that the other end of the line is also a pain to take off! who the fuck tightened all these....a goddamn gorilla? ugh!
LOL!!! Did you buy some Metric line wrenches? The clutch, brake, and fuel line fittings are ALL tight as hell like that. I've done the SS clutch line.. SS brake lines.. fuel pump.. dont know how many fuel filters.. and rebuilt the clutch master and slave cyls. I'd say ALL of those jobs are damn near impossible without the Metric line wrenches. You'll round off the fittings way before they ever break loose if you try it with a regular open-end wrench. Long live the Mitsu gorilla... ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hehe..i tried to take it off with a 10mm open wrench...stripped the shit out of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts