DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea, another EGT question... but HELP! please!

anway, i'm gonna drill into my manifold soon to tap the EGT probe. the probe came with no instructions and in the directions for the EGT gauge, it says, "follow the install instructions for the probe installation" i'm not kidding! i know what to do about drilling and wiring, but i just don't want an exhaust leak and don't know how to seal the hole tight. i hope welding is not needed. its autometer part #5249 if that makes any difference. the autometer page says just this about it, "Complete Probe kit includes 1/4" dia. Stainless Probe with 6-1/2 ft. wire plus 1/4" compression- 1/8" NPT connector."

thanks,
PAUL

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hey Paul, did you get the probe in the same package as the gauge itself??? Doesn't the probe look kind of fat? Big restriction? Where exactly are you mounting it on the first runner and how? Thanx

·
Registered
123 Posts
You said yourself probe comes with a 1/8" NPT fitting. That means you tap an 1/8" NPT Hole. NPT stands for national pipe thread which is tapered. It seals itself. Most if not all drill type EGT probes are this way

·
Registered
482 Posts
The probe is bigger than 1/8th inch, its supposed to be 1/4 inch, what does this fitting look like... I have a double ended screw thing, one side to screw into the manifold, the other to screw onto a fastened bolt on the probe... this screw is big... maybe 1/2 an inch. Do I screw this huge thing into my manifold??? Or did I get the wrong probe? Thanx

·
Registered
123 Posts
1/8" is not an actual measurement. It's the "size" of the fitting. Yes you screw that into your manifold. Drill and tap an "1/8" inch NPT hole. The other end is a compression fitting which the probe fits into and you tighten it down. It's a common plumbing fitting and very simple.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool, thanks people!

Mike, the probe came seperate. i searched all around and found that carparts.com had the best deal when the 33% off coupon was used. its nto very big at all and i doubt that it makes even the slightest restriction. and as to how and where i'm mounting it, well read the instructions at the address below. http://www.myzero.com/gauges/egt.html

thanks again for the info,
PAUL

·
Registered
333 Posts
once again pauleyman hit the nail on the head...... seals itself with tapered threads

should be 4-6 inches out on the #1 runner.

awdmike858 if you can be without your manifold for a day you can bring it to me and i'll do it for you for free. already have all the tools you will need.

·
Registered
482 Posts
really??? cool man... the problem is that my probe is huge... Ill see if I can get the dimensions from Buschur, but the probe itself came with the egt... it's pretty fat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts