DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Im looking and dont see how im going to get out the A/C compressor,
I bought a compressor from a member here and am going to replace it.

I have heard from above and below but Which is most easy and
how do I go about it.

Also what type of refrigerant is used?
From what i understand there are two types and one is Much more expencive
than the other.

Thank you in advance for your help,
even if you dont know but have an idea let me know!

Thanks!
-JPJ2007!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well my book says to remove the brake resivoir and then remove it from the top.
Anyone want to clear that it is the best way.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
I would say it could very well be easier to remove the intake and replace the gasket. I removed it from my car after I had pulled the entire motor out.

You can use 134a fro autozone.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol forget that. I'm not removing the intake mani.
Done that on another car, id rather it be a hassle than go thru all of that.
Thx btw. I guess I have to have a shop drain the refrigerant and then I can pull it out...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, it is illegal to purge the refrigerant to the atmosphere (on purpose).

Good luck with that - I had a lot of fun replacing my compressor on my other car (Volvo V70). You should plan on replacing the receiver/dryer and expansion valve at the same time while the system is open and purged.

By the way, as a point of reference, I called around and found a ghetto shop that would purge it for me for $20 (last summer) and I watched him do it legally too. I had received quotes all over the board up to $130. It's very minimal labor, they just hook it up to the recovery machine and about 10 minutes later, you're good to go.

·
Registered
463 Posts
JPJ2007 said:
well my book says to remove the brake resivoir and then remove it from the top.
Anyone want to clear that it is the best way.
Yea, that is how it's done. Me and my dad recently took out the old one and put in a new one. The new one is not working so it looks like its coming back out and another one has to go in.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
gordon.cj said:
Yeah, it is illegal to purge the refrigerant to the atmosphere (on purpose).
Key word, ON PURPOSE.

I did mine on accident. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
The_EE said:
Key word, ON PURPOSE.

I did mine on accident. :D
Yea, I had no idea what I was doing when I took mine out, and my friend was like "hey pull on that" and ran away giggling.
Scared the crap outta me when it started spraying everywhere....

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
NY 95 TSI AWD said:
Yea, that is how it's done. Me and my dad recently took out the old one and put in a new one. The new one is not working so it looks like its coming back out and another one has to go in.
If it was a new, new one, I would guess its not the compressor causing the problem...

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
elusiveransu said:
Yea, I had no idea what I was doing when I took mine out, and my friend was like "hey pull on that" and ran away giggling.
I did mine on purpose, I just call it an accident. JPJ2007 has my compressor from my GSX hehe since I have no need for AC.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
elusiveransu said:
Dude, thats just awesome!!! Your friend gets a :tree: for that.

·
Registered
463 Posts
93_GSX said:
If it was a new, new one, I would guess its not the compressor causing the problem...
It was remanufactured actually. I replaced the belt, filter dryer, and then brought it to an ac place to get the system cleaned, if nesessary because it was the clutch that was not working on the original compressor. The ac guy also filled it up with freon and recharged the system or whatever else was needed to get it working. He said we also needed an expansion valve, so he replaced that. Then he found the leak in the compressor. :mad:

When taking the compressor out I also take out the bolt holding the ac line to the right of the timing belt off, which is one bolt. To the right of the break fluid resivoir there is also a nut holding up wires, which I also took off and disconnected the wires to clear the area so the compressor can come out. Also, there are four bolts holding the compressor in.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok thanks, How bad is it to BY accident drain the refrigerant?
I dont want to pay $30 for a shop to drain it and have to wait untill next week.
Hope to get around to it this weekend, I could replace the clutch bu im guessing The_EE car has less than 155k miles like my gsx so its a newer compressor, figure I might as well change the whole thing out rather than just the clutch.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well the r-134a isn't as bad for the environment as r-12, but it is REALLY bad for you. Don't breathe any in if you do it yourself. I think everybody has done it at least once, I wouldn't really worry about it. Just don't get caught. Not sure what the fine is, but it's at least 10k...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Living in the country ftw!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, I looked into the laws when I was doing mine, but I don't remember the exact fine - another warning (besides breathing it in) is to keep your hand away from it as it blows out since it can/will be cold.

But, like I said, I found a guy that would do it properly for $20, so I figured I'd "do my part" to "save" the environment.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so I got my compressor out. OMG it was such a PITA...
Anyway, before I put the new one in do I need to add oil or anything?
Or can I just hook it up and refil with refrigerant from autozone and be good to go?
I dont wanna have to pull it off again...

Please let me know as im putting it together in the morning!

THANKS!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
JPJ2007 said:
Ok so I got my compressor out. OMG it was such a PITA...
Anyway, before I put the new one in do I need to add oil or anything?
Or can I just hook it up and refil with refrigerant from autozone and be good to go?
I dont wanna have to pull it off again...

Please let me know as im putting it together in the morning!

THANKS!
You don't need to add any oil. The refrigerant will have oil mixed right in.
Also don't quote me on this but to my understanding, the system has to be air free. If you just add refrigerant, than the air already in the lines from it being open when you replaced everything, would be a problem and it won't cool like it supposed to.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just took out my compressor again and put in a new one yesterday. I added oil in mine. The company ended up sending us a brand new one, since the remanufactured one had a leak. The new one had oil in it, but the guy that we bought it from said to empty that oil and put new oil in. I guess that was just to ensure that there was the correct amount in, but I don't know.The original a/c compressor also had oil in it.The remanufactured one came with no oil too so we put some in. I believe we added 2 ounces of oil each time we put in the compressor. Trust me, you don't want to take it out again. Call the company you got the compressor from and/or some local car a/c place. Mine needed oil and yours most likely does too, so make sure you find out before putting the new one in.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
big problem, My new compressor IS NOT the same...
Its a 97+ and my car is a 95 and I thought it was the same but its not...

I need to replace the clutch but I dont know how.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts