DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend has one of these valve covers and Ive noticed pics of others. The question is is there a certain year that came with the studs? There is a hyundai elantra in a local junkyard. Thing is is it doesnt have studs. Can you get studs and run them in the oe valve cover. If so where would I get these at?

·
2,302 Posts
What does it have instead of studs? The studs have a sleave on them and the actual hole in the hyundai valve cover is larger that the mitsu OE v/c holes for the bolts. I haven't heard of anyone using studs without sleaves on the mitsu/talon v/c but that doesn't mean that something like that isn't out there.
From what I have heard, the hyundai elantra 94-95 with the 1.6 and 1.8 dohc's are the ones with the desired valve covers but you might want to double check that.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one in the junkyard has bolts in it so I left it there. I think its like a 98ish. Its the only one in the junkyard too. Im guessing a hyundai dealer is the only place to get the studs? I just dont want to strip out my vc bolts. Im not saying I go that tight but repeated in and outs tend to take their toll. Do you think I could just drill out the e vc? I have a cracked one I could experiment with I guess.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hope this helps you out. I have a Hyundai valve cover and did my home work:

92 Elantra L4 block, 1.6 liter
Part numbers:
Valve cover gasket(1)22441-33020
Inner sparkplug gasket(4)22443-33020
Outer stud(8)22448-33020
Inner stud(6)22448-33120
Rubber groumet/washer(14)22452-33021
Nut(14)22450-33020

From the dealer with a hook up I have it cost $90.00, it was over a $110.00 without the hookup. It makes me wish I just stuck with the mitsu but oh well.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will the stock vc gasket work on the hyundai cover? Do you have a pic off all the parts? Im guessing this is from the hyundai dealer? The closest one to my is about an hour away so I dont want to make a trip up there just to look at some bolts and see if I can make it work. I will prolly jack the one from the junkyard because I like the looks of the hyundai better than the oe vc. Do you think I could get some from arp at a cheaper price?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dude I put all that info up for a reason. Dont try and save a buck just to get by. No the mitsu gasket wont work for the Hyundai because the Hyundai uses studs, the holes in the gasket were the stud passes through are bigger for that reason. ARP as far as I know doesnt sell this stuff. Buy from the dealer. I know its expensive but once you do it once then you will never have to do it again. Oh and Im pretty sure you will have to special order most the parts. I had to.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Dude I put all that info up for a reason. Dont try and save a buck just to get by. No the mitsu gasket wont work for the Hyundai because the Hyundai uses studs, the holes in the gasket were the stud passes through are bigger for that reason. ARP as far as I know doesnt sell this stuff. Buy from the dealer. I know its expensive but once you do it once then you will never have to do it again. Oh and Im pretty sure you will have to special order most the parts. I had to.
I used a mitsu gasket with mine?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you guys use bolts or studs? The studs are a larger dia where it goes through the vc so thats why the hyundai vc needs a different gasket. At least thats what Im gathering from evilgsx4202r. Its just $90 lol. Its better than having to retap the damn vc rail on the head. So I will prolly end up spending the money.

·
2,302 Posts
They used bolts, there is no way to use the mitsu v/c gasket with the studs... I tried the holes are too small for the studs and will not seal, it ended with me tearing the mitsu v/c gasket. I did end up using a mitsu v/c gasket but used bolts instead of the studs on the hyundai v/c with a mitsu gasket. I didn't find any possible way to open the holes up to get the studs to work with the mitsu vc gasket. If I were to do it over I would have just ordered the hyundai gasket to use on the hyundai v/c so I could use the hyundai studs. Btw the factory mitsu v/c bolts will not work on the hyundai v/c because the holes are not only wider but taller, you will have to use a taller bolt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is why dsm's get bad raps cuz you guys trip over dollars to pick up penny's. Just do it right and be done with it. Use the info I gave you and you will be happy you went that route.

Oh and Ken81590 car is ghetto. SO I wouldnt take advise from him.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Also the thread and bolt size is the same on all the heads. The stud just threads down into the head and then you slide your vc over the studs then you put the rubber groumet/washer on, then the nut. Done

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I used a Mitsu gasket and Hyandai studs with no tears or leaks (been on about 2 years). I just opened up the holes with a gasket punch.
And on a side note if you spend $100 plus dollars on factory VC hardware your an idiot.

·
Registered
848 Posts
This is why dsm's get bad raps cuz you guys trip over dollars to pick up penny's. Just do it right and be done with it. Use the info I gave you and you will be happy you went that route.

Oh and Ken81590 car is ghetto. SO I wouldnt take advise from him.
Why spend money that you don't need to. It only cost me a few dollars for bolts and washers to bolt down my VC and I already had a Mitsu gasket. If I was using the studs, I would use the Hyundai gasket but you can use the Mitsu gasket with bolts. It works.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I dont care what you do with your cars cuz as far I can tell there ghetto anyways. I do it right the first time. I dont mind spending a little change insted of having to punch out every hole on a mitsu vc gasket just to make it fit. Now that I have spent the money I wont have to ever again.

·
Registered
797 Posts
With my the cover I picked up from a member here, I ended up going to the local you pull it yard with my friends stud puller and yanked them out the head. I figured using tthe original stuff would be better than stripping the threads in the head the using bolts.:cool:

·
Registered
848 Posts
I dont care what you do with your cars cuz as far I can tell there ghetto anyways. I do it right the first time. I dont mind spending a little change insted of having to punch out every hole on a mitsu vc gasket just to make it fit. Now that I have spent the money I wont have to ever again.
Yep, definitely ghetto. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts