DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
If I get a chance tomorrow I'll show you what the studs look like incase you decide to get the studs. If you want them new I think the inner studs are like .60 cents each and the outter set was like 1.10 each. I cant remember off the top of my head. But your local junkyard should have them for free if you pull them yourself.

·
Registered
457 Posts
This is why dsm's get bad raps cuz you guys trip over dollars to pick up penny's. Just do it right and be done with it. Use the info I gave you and you will be happy you went that route.

Oh and Ken81590 car is ghetto. SO I wouldnt take advise from him.
Id like to know how my car is ghetto?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I dont care what you do with your cars cuz as far I can tell there ghetto anyways. I do it right the first time. I dont mind spending a little change insted of having to punch out every hole on a mitsu vc gasket just to make it fit. Now that I have spent the money I wont have to ever again.
Once again, with regular old bolts and washers, you do not need to punch out holes, are you slow? :chair:

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
The reason I punched the holes as oposed to buying a Hyundai gasket is that I had several Mitsubishi sets sitting on shelf 3' from my gasket punches,and I felt like using the studs.

Ken is 100% right, just use bolts and your gasket will work fine.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
But Im wanting to use the studs so I dont strip out the vc rail. I know bolts will work I get that. I can get a gasket punch when the snap on mac or matco guy comes this week. The junkyard only has one elantra and its too new to have studs. Im going to have to buy some is how its looking. 90 seems ridiculously steep form some bolts and a gasket. The point of this thread was to see where I could get studs and everything I need to do this. I just wish a hyundai dealer was closer than 60 mi. Does anyone happen to have a set of studs layin around?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of the OEM Hyundai studs/washers/nuts for this setup that aren't installed on the car already? Or is someone's car down that they'd be willing to take one out and snap a few pictures?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was going to eventually use a Hyundai VC, and found some info on dsmtoonerz that indicated to just go with a bit longer bolts and the Mits gasket. The bolt size is M6x1.0 x 35mm. The SS button head screws would look nice. I haven't done this yet, but others have reported hit or miss results as far as leaking.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I was going to eventually use a Hyundai VC, and found some info on dsmtoonerz that indicated to just go with a bit longer bolts and the Mits gasket. The bolt size is M6x1.0 x 35mm. The SS button head screws would look nice. I haven't done this yet, but others have reported hit or miss results as far as leaking.
Thanks for the info! I will try that first.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of the OEM Hyundai studs/washers/nuts for this setup that aren't installed on the car already? Or is someone's car down that they'd be willing to take one out and snap a few pictures?

Stud, nut, and washer on the left, bolt on the right. I bought a Hyundai VC on ebay a few months ago and it came with bolts, and I have only seen the studs. I am not sure which years come with what. My current Hyundai VC is held down with generic hardware store bolts and flat washers with a Mitsu gasket..

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
For future info, you don't need a stud puller to get the studs out of the vc. A regular run of the mill boxed end wrench will work wonders for loosing the stud. After you loose it a bit, you can run it the rest of the way out with a deep socket.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Stud, nut, and washer on the left, bolt on the right. I bought a Hyundai VC on ebay a few months ago and it came with bolts, and I have only seen the studs. I am not sure which years come with what. My current Hyundai VC is held down with generic hardware store bolts and flat washers with a Mitsu gasket..
Thanks!

Did the bolts come with rubber grommets? Or do they look like they should/could have them?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hope this helps you out. I have a Hyundai valve cover and did my home work:

92 Elantra L4 block, 1.6 liter
Part numbers:
Valve cover gasket(1)22441-33020
Inner sparkplug gasket(4)22443-33020
Outer stud(8)22448-33020
Inner stud(6)22448-33120
Rubber groumet/washer(14)22452-33021
Nut(14)22450-33020

From the dealer with a hook up I have it cost $90.00, it was over a $110.00 without the hookup. It makes me wish I just stuck with the mitsu but oh well.
Thank you so much for this! I appreciate your research. I have this cover heavily modified and all i need are the studs and washers. good lookin.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts