DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I wanted to say my welcome and give some information about me before we get to talk more. I am Shawn Dunn, I live in South Weber, Utah and I am infactuated with the 1.8 SOHC engine. All my engine work previously came from my timing belt change on my car. I had no idea what the hell compression was back then, and volumetric effiencey would have gave me a brain freeze. So that is where it all came from, and that is when I loved the 1.8. I was revving at 5K before the timing belt, so you can believe how much I loved that 1.8 engine. As for my engine work now, I have rebuilt a 1.8 SOHC NT engine from ground up, meaning I sent the crank/block to get machined and honed, and I put it back together. Did it run? NO, unfortunately checkerauto parts gave me the wrong compression piston rings, so therefore they slid around and ruined compression. So instead of basically wasting more time into the block, I decided to get a Japanese Exchange. As for the Japanese Exchange engines there are 2 that you might get. A G37B [this engine came before the 1.8 SOHC, it has a slightly smaller bore, not able to be noticed], the engine I put in had a cracked block, so therefore my water would mix with my oil in the pan in the matter of seconds. SO that engine wasn't successful, but I had warantee, I got a 4G37 and till this day [3 days now since I got it tuned right and ready to go] it picks up as fast as a 2.0 NT, but doesn't run that fast. So basically I have the knowlege of a 4G63, 4G37, G37B engine drop. At this time I am putting JE's in my other block and getting it ready to be a replacement for this engine after I blow it up with my T3 setup. I hope to have my turbo setup done by March of next year, before shoot out 2003. If successful I could open up another step up in the 1.8 mod list. I do know about Kalani, the 1.8 Turbo in Hawaii. Him and I talk all the time, and we enjoy each others company, since of the most part we aren't newbies. I didn't just say, "Hey I am going to slap a turbo on my car and go" I know things dont' happen like that, and people that do end up like a turbo CRX SI on a Nitrous shot of 100 :) . Now whoever spreaded this message about a 1.8 Turbo pushing 2 psi at 400 HP is on crack. Most a turbo probably could push on a 1.8 per psi is 15... that would be very pushing it though. I would more believe intercooled with a T3/T4 Hybrid turbocharger at a 50 trim would be more at 12 HP per psi. Kalani is probably pushing 200 intercooled at 6-7 psi. He doesn't have have 400 hp though guys, thats just the way it goes.

Things you should ask yourself before you go 1.8 turbo is... What do I expect to gain from this process? I mean when I asked myself that question I was debating horsepower or popularity. Now I am merged the two, but more for uniqueness then anything else. If you want horsepower, get yourself a 4G63, but if you want a reliable, unique engine, use the 1.8.

The 1.8 also with a stock transmission has less protential then a 2.0/2.0T transmission in high end. My advice to you is have the transmission rebuilt, or don't and just put a ACT 252 torque clutch in it, and work on your bottom end. This means get light weight items for your car and a quick spooling turbo. Nitrous also is a good key.

I got recommended here to shed some light on you people, I hope some of my information helps you. Also some good sites to check out to see what turbo matches your engine, or for calculations on what hp a turbo will give you are here:

www.turbo-fast.com.au

That site will include turbo charts and turbo calculation maps. I love it, that is what made me decide on the T3 50 Trim. If you have any questions concerning 1.8 turboing please Instant Message me on AIM/AOL/Compuserve, or Yahoo. Thanks guys, great to be here. Later.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Welcome aboard! :D Mad props to the Turbo 1.8L's. I'm still stock but that really doesn't bother me. It's still a nice looking car! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts