DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I blew something up on the way home Monday night. I was going down the road and punched it in 2nd and when it was almost making full boost it went...."blat blat BOOOM!!!!" This huge cloud of brownish black smoke exploded out of the exhaust and the car started running horribly. I made it home but my car now sounds like a 1982 VW Rabbit with no exhaust and a rough idle.

It has a really rough and noisy idle and has about the same or less power than a Metro. I checked to see if I blew off an intercooler pipe and they were all intact. I also looked at the timing belt and it wasn't loose at all either. When I got home there was some smoke coming from the back of the Engine bay too. I thought maybe it was the turbo but I can still hear the turbo spool, I just don't get any power. I checked the turbo and it doesn't have any shaft play either. I can't get anything more than 5psi of boost and the car make a sortof knocking noise.

I did a compression check last night. First thing I notice was that when I pulled the plug wires for cylinders #1 and #4 there was oil in the spark plug well. I pulled the plugs and they didn't look too bad just a little chared.

Here's how the compression checked out:

#1 Cylinder : 170
#2 Cylinder : 170
#3 Cylinder : 180
#4 Cylinder : 210

When doing the compression check the compression would slowly increase with the first 2 revolutions and then stabalize at the numbers listed above. I found this kind of odd because the instructions that I was following to do the check said that the opposite would occur.

I also noticed that I lost some Anti-freeze because I had filled the reseviour on Saturday and when I looked at it now it is low. I am wondering now if the fluid that was around the sparkplugs was all oil. I did notice some of the fluid may have had a little green tint to it.

Basically I was coming to the conclusion that I have blown a head gasket, do you guys think it could be anything else?

What else would cause me to lose anti-freeze and have oil in the spark plug wells? Maybe a blown Valve cover gasket but would the car run really poopy then?

I was talking to a guy at work and he said maybe my Cat is melted and blocking the exhaust flow is that possible?

I haven't had any signs of crankwalk in the past could it just happen all of a sudden without any warning signs? I listened to the crankwalk .wav and it may sound somewhat similar but the knocking sound is consistant it doesn't just come and go as in the .wav file it also isnt' as quick of a knock. It's more of a whiny sound.

Thanks for you help,
Nate

·
Registered
264 Posts
It sure sounds like a head gasket.

WHen it idles does white smoke come out the muffler and smell of coolant? Another sign

Bubbles in the coolant?
Coolant in the oil?

All signs of a bad head gasket.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
billdo_83 said:
It sure sounds like a head gasket.

WHen it idles does white smoke come out the muffler and smell of coolant? Another sign

Bubbles in the coolant?
Coolant in the oil?

All signs of a bad head gasket.
There was no white smoke coming out at all. It seems like it is running really rich and there is a whinny knocking sound.

The coolant looks kinda dirty or a little dark but isn't brown/black.
I can't notice a difference in the oil on the dipstick.

·
Honorary Moderator
3,499 Posts
Dont want to scare you, but those were the EXACT same symptoms I had when I melted a piston in my 1G. I had no compression in the #4 cylinder though. Maybe you just melted a valve. I can't see it being the head gasket. It wouldn't go boom like that unless you were running ridiculous boost or something. Even then, I don't think you would hear it go.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If you melted a valve, you wouldn't get any compression, either, to the best of my knowledge. Those comp. numbers seem high, too...:dunno:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about a piston ring?

If I melted a piston ring and then got oil in the cylinder could it give that high reading?

I rechecked the compression in cylinder #4 last night and it was 199 instead of 210 after sitting for a day.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm not really an expert on compression checks. Are you sure you are doing it right though?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Otis said:
I'm not really an expert on compression checks. Are you sure you are doing it right though?
Yeah, I believe so....Well. I'll tell you guys what I'm doing and then you tell me if I'm right.

I unplugged the fuel pump so I don't spray fuel everywhere.
I unplugged the coil connector.
I screwed the compression gauge hose in to the spark plug hole.
I have someone watch the gauge.
I then get into the car push the gas pedal to the floor and crank the engine until the gauge has a steady reading. (about 4 to 5 turnovers)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To do a leak down test do I absolutly have to have this gauge??
[/IMG]

Or can I just use the quick connect hose from my Compression gauge to blow air into the cylinder from a small air compressor??

·
Registered
44 Posts
sounds like a blown ring to me. try changing the spark plugs and see if that helps at all. if not, then im gonna say it has to be a piston or a ring. if it was a head gasket you would be over heating.:D

·
Registered
548 Posts
My guess, bent rod on #4. If you burnt the rings, piston, valves, head gasket it would lower your compression. The only other thing I can think of that would cause the compression to raise that much is carbon build up in the combustion chamber but that doesn't happen all of the sudden.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I checked the compression in #4 cylinder again last night and it was 180 psi. My friend came over and we took off the downpipe and cat and the cat was fine. We decided to try to start it so he could hear what it sounded like. So instead of using the plugs that I had in my car we took the plugs out of his Eclipse and put them in mine. We started it up and seemed to run and idle fine. We didn't take it out for a drive or anything but it idled ok. Now the question is though, if it was just the plugs that caused it to run so shitty what was the fluid that was around plugs #1 and #4? I'm going to buy some plugs and drive around for a while and keep an eye on the spark plug wells.

Anyway I guess the moral of the story is: "If you car isn't running right, no matter what seems to be the problem, change you plugs before you try anything else."

Hopefully that will be all that was wrong. But we'll see. :)

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
dsmnate said:
Well I checked the compression in #4 cylinder again last night and it was 180 psi. My friend came over and we took off the downpipe and cat and the cat was fine. We decided to try to start it so he could hear what it sounded like. So instead of using the plugs that I had in my car we took the plugs out of his Eclipse and put them in mine. We started it up and seemed to run and idle fine. We didn't take it out for a drive or anything but it idled ok. Now the question is though, if it was just the plugs that caused it to run so shitty what was the fluid that was around plugs #1 and #4? I'm going to buy some plugs and drive around for a while and keep an eye on the spark plug wells.

Anyway I guess the moral of the story is: "If you car isn't running right, no matter what seems to be the problem, change you plugs before you try anything else."

Hopefully that will be all that was wrong. But we'll see. :)
I hope that is all it is Nate. Glad it isn't what we discussed. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts