DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My other car is a 2000 Impreza 2.5RS, and after seeing the Carbontrix hood vents, I got to thinking that the 2.5RS/WRX hood scoops aren't that much different, and can be had a lot cheaper. For example, I got a blue one from a WRX for $30 shipped. It'll need to be repainted, but I'm going with a spray can since looks are not my primary concern. I'll post pictures when I have it installed - but don't hold your breath, it might be a few weeks... :)

If you want to post wanted ads, register on www.i-club.com or www.rs25.com and post in the classifieds/wanted ads section. I got a few replies within a couple of days.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Ya that'll look like ass.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for the kind response. :rolleyes:

I have my Impreza to "look good in". The TSi is just my fun car that I'll be road racing next year. I spent exactly $0 in appearance mods on it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Well if you're doing it strictly for function then get a scoop made on top of the intake.

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
im not startin a flame war, but damn chicago u need to lighten up, ur real negative and jerky towards people off the bat... nuff said no im not posting again :scholar:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I didn't clarify in my first post that I plan on mounting it backwards to extract heat from the engine bay, not as a ram-air intake.

Kinda like this guy... Local autocrosser:

·
Registered
264 Posts
If i saw a DSM sporting a Hood scoop i would proceed to stare at them, then i would point and laugh out very loud.

Thats sorta Ricerish and something that people do with their Grand Prix's

At least thats how it is around here...

Just MHO

·
Registered
449 Posts
If I saw you laughing at a fellow DSM owner because he/she had a hood scoop, I would proceed to shake my head in disgust, then I would call you an idiot.

Save those comments for the Honda boards.

Just MHO.

billdo_83 said:
If i saw a DSM sporting a Hood scoop i would proceed to stare at them, then i would point and laugh out very loud.

Thats sorta Ricerish and something that people do with their Grand Prix's

At least thats how it is around here...

Just MHO

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can you feel the Loooovvvveeee! Anyway, if it works to extract heat, then why not. At least its functional, unlike a huge sheet of aluminum pretending to be a wing...

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,738 Posts
the only problem i see with the impreza scoop is that it is designed to catch air and not release it. meaning that there's no downward slope like on the carbontrix ones.

also the back of the impreza scoop isn't very aerodynamic since it's not designed to actuallfy face that way.

here's rre's racecar with the carbontrix scop

you can see how instead of stick up to catch air and put it in the engine bay, its sloped down into the hood so that it can let heat out of the engine bay.

while this is the proper scoop for the wrx's use, turning it around and placing it on the leading edge of a dsm hood would look rediculous and could be better accomlished by making a few cuts and bending down the hood's sheetmetal and then fiberglassing in the sides. member awdkitkat actually did that and it looked great and i'm sure it would work alot better.

good idea and originality, but its just not gonna look or work right.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
are there any pics of his car that intrest me alot

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mavisky, I agree with your thoughts on the trailing edge of the Carbontrix scoop being pushed down to extract the heat better, and other than molding the hood metal itself, there is no way around it. However, I took a good look at how the scoop looks, and it's no taller than the bulge over the cam cover. The tallest part is maybe 1 - 1.5 inches tall. And it's pretty aerodynamic - the incline of the edge is gradual over maybe 6 inches or so.

mavisky - this is the hood you're talking about, right?

You're right, that does look pretty good... I never thought to do that. I might go that route instead. :)

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
wait, why would u point and laugh at someone with a dsm who had a hoodscoop? thats beyond me...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts