DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is what I did this afternoon.. I still need to do some tweaking. Basically what I have is a 20oz bottle mounted upside down in the cockpit area, at the front of my seat to the side.. Doesn't interfere with leg room, I don't even know it's there. I didn't get an electric solenoid for the fact that if the results are not good, I didn't want to get intricate..

I have a remote hose running through the firewall, and a knob on top of the bottle to get the liquid flowing.

I need to do something with the nozzle though since it is concentrated in a small area. Maybe get a tinier hole so it sprays in more of a spread out area. Gotta experiment a bit.

I didn't get to test it tonight because it was fairly chilly. I want to test it when it's hot as hell out and the sun is beating down.

It seems as though it will give some type of gain. I guess we'll see. I'm going to see about borrowing a G-Tech to see what's up.
Oh yeah, and it's loud as hell. You can tell riceboys you got NAWWWSSSS and they'll go for it.

Ok, on with the pics.

Nozzle:

Spraying:

Spraying video (1.6mb MPEG):

RIGHT CLICK, SAVE AS

Please download the video to your PC so you don't have to keep retrieving it from the server.

THANKS!

I'll have some results tomorrow if it's hot out..

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, and if anyone has any ideas/suggestions they think will make it better, I'm all ears!

Thanks

·
Registered
565 Posts
well, you could try making something shaped like this

l----l----l
l----l----l
l----l----l
l----l----l

out of copper or brass pipes or maybe even pvc if it wont crack.

then drill holes facing the intercooler that way you get an even spread.

just an idea for anyone to improve upon.;)

·
Elite DSMtalker
958 Posts
How exactly does your system work? My buddy Rich took a CO2 canister from a paintball gun and hooked it to one of those remote coil hoses that they sell. He put the canister in the glove box and then ran the hose out the door, under the fender, along the edge of the engine compartment, out next to the radiator, and then under the bumper. When we tested his at the track, it didn't work at all, the air coming out was warm.

I'm thinking that all the heat from inside the engine compartment heated the CO2 too much. If you could explain how yours is run or show us some pics of it, we might have some better luck with it.

Josh

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
If you don't do that I would at least have it angled more towards the lower IC inlet. The hottest part of the IC will be that inlet, it won't make much difference, but that should ideally be the most efficient spot to cool down.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Josh90TSI said:
How exactly does your system work? My buddy Rich took a CO2 canister from a paintball gun and hooked it to one of those remote coil hoses that they sell. He put the canister in the glove box and then ran the hose out the door, under the fender, along the edge of the engine compartment, out next to the radiator, and then under the bumper. When we tested his at the track, it didn't work at all, the air coming out was warm.
You have to have the canister's discharge end pointing at the ground. That is the only way to make the liquid CO2 (dry ice) come out. If it is not upside down, you'll just be blowing air.

·
Registered
64 Posts
was that the whole bottle ? Where is the bottle in the car ?(trunk,glove box) What size bottle?(20oz,12oz,9oz)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stock97gst said:
was that the whole bottle ? Where is the bottle in the car ?(trunk,glove box) What size bottle?(20oz,12oz,9oz)
No, that's far from the whole bottle. I think someone tested it at full spray, and it lasts close to a minute..

That's a 20oz bottle, and it's mounted on the side panel in the driver's side legroom. Though it takes up none of my space. I don't even know it's there.

I'll take a pic probably today, and a pic of the hose.

I had to get flame retardant wire loom to cover it because I was afraid of it melting. TIP: Don't go to Autozone for wireloom. All they have is rice colors. I got blue.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow. AWESOME idea... Much more effective than my plans to re-route windshield sprayers...

Heh I shood get 2x 20oz bottles and mount em reverse-nawzszs style in the back (upside-down) Tho that might be kind of a long way to go...

·
Registered
126 Posts
One thing I think would be cool and useful: Have a an electrical push button switch on the floorboard where the gas pedal goes down, that way, when you're WOT, you will automatically spray your IC. Don't know about cost or efficiency, but it's an idea :)

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
awd4g63 said:
One thing I think would be cool and useful: Have a an electrical push button switch on the floorboard where the gas pedal goes down, that way, when you're WOT, you will automatically spray your IC. Don't know about cost or efficiency, but it's an idea :)
Why not just a hobb's pressure switch :), much less "ghetto"

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
IwishIwasCool said:
CO2 is a combustion inhibitor..... do you have concerns with the fact that the spray is right below the intake?

just a thought
Very good concern IMO. I would like to hear about this one as well. The fact that it is an extremely cold gas means that it will sink very fast, but with the pressure of incoming wind may perhaps force the CO2 upwards to where the intake is. Sounds like we may need some other cold gas.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had thought about using a NOS Sol. and actually drilling the IC and running the line into the IC. Any problems with this idea?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
awd4g63 said:
The only thing that might not be good about that is you're going to want the IC cooled off prior to racing, adn during it.. Like, turn it on 5 seconds before going down the track..

I'm going to address the gas issue and see if it comes anywhere near the intake. If so, I'll make some sort of shield..

I still have yet to test it on a hot day. Today may be good, I'll have to fill the bottle after work.. I'd really like to hit up the dyno.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had thought about using a NOS Sol. and actually drilling the IC and running the line into the IC. Any problems with this idea?
Where to start? Its nitrous, N2O, nitrogen oxide.
NOS is a brand, Fast and the furious is a movie.

Making a direct injection fogger system yourself with a homemade nozzle and an undetermined amount of nitrous....do you see a problem?

If you want to use a "NOS" system, buy a "NOS" system, you might even find other companies make them. For the sake of your car dont make one yourself unless you research extremely thoroughly.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts