DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is a 90 awd talon manual.

Car starts and runs after a few seconds then car shuts off and the starter wont in gauge. The motor dont spin and the starter just comes out and slightly grinds on the flywheel.

I have gone through 2 starters that i know where good but still no luck. Both starters where for an awd car.

I have to take the starters off and put them back on just to get it to run the car for a few seconds then it shuts off and does the same dam thing again.

The car has a brand new fidanza flywheel, new stock clutch replacement, the starter plate is on there and in new condition.

When i say the car shuts off it stops almost like if you where to jam the flywheel it just stops. Then when you try to restart it it just grinds the flywheel.

I do know the tranny and the motor sit flush no gaps or anything stuck in them, the alignment tabs are in there.

I do know the flywheel there is a 4 teeth difference between the awd and front drive.

But if thats true the car would not start it would just spin. It actually fires up, spins the motor.

Are the awd and front drive starters the same?
What else is there to check?

I am at a loss i just honestly dont know what to do.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Re: I need help bad mods are welcome... Car starts and run but the starter wont in gauge

Is the flywheel for a fwd? FWD flywheels are larger dia and will not work with an awd tranny. The starters are interchangeable.

·
Elite DSMtalker
694 Posts
Re: I need help bad mods are welcome... Car starts and run but the starter wont in gauge

I would think there is a deeper underlaying problem. Like...engine problem?

Maybe you should take it to a proper mechanic?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No i am not taking it to a mechanic.

This is wv no one works on a 4 banger here.

I know what i am doing, been doing dsm for 3 years now. Just i am lost on this problem.

The motor has 7k on the rebuild and timing is dead on accurate.

What about cam sensors? are the na and turbo ones interchangeable?

I think that is my problem but i need to know about the starter problem i have.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Is there any sort of gasket of shim that goes on there? I dont think so but the local ******* place here says it need it.

Anyone have a clue as the problem?

·
Registered
709 Posts

Sure they didnt give you a starter for an auto.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

all the ones i pulled from where from manual awd.

·
Premium Member
9,819 Posts

It was already mentioned. You sure you don't have a FWD flywheel. Other thing you can do is pull the starter and go to a parts place to compare with the one they have for a MT AWD.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Ok now my car starts and the motor turns with out it grinding but its smoking out of the maf?

This thing is possessed.

Ill check the flywheel in the morning to see if the ring on the flywheel is coming off since there are 3 bolts holding the ring gear on.

I know for a fact i got a awd manual starter, i went out to my parts car and ripped 2 off them off a manual awd car.

I checked the fidanza with my old new awd flywheel that had 20 miles on it and they where both the same diameter, teeth.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Just kept rotating no fire but the starter worked?....

WTF

I am getting fuel i can smell it in the intake, but my timing is dead on, ive checked more than 10 times just alone on that.

Its getting fuel vapor out of the intake to but the timing is on...

Must have a leaking injector but i doubt it...

This thing is possessed...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I looked at he starter and both look normal.

The car is doing this on random, someone please help

·
Registered
174 Posts

So what your saying now is that you are randomly not getting spark? Or not getting fuel into the combustion chamber? If it was a leaking injector then you would have a potent fuel smell while driving too so I doubt that's the case. I would start inspecting plugs, wires, and coil packs. Maybe you have a coil pack going bad and It's just intermittently cutting in and out... Easy enough to check anyway. Only other thing I could think of would be that you don't have a really solid Cam Angle Sensor connection. As of right now that's the only things I can think of. Even though you got the starter working properly it's not like it's impossible that something else could go wrong immediately afterward.... think about it... you own a DSM :p

·
Registered
134 Posts
Even though you got the starter working properly it's not like it's impossible that something else could go wrong immediately afterward.... think about it... you own a DSM :p
That is so right. On my 91 laser I was expericing some of the same problems: starter, smoke, the hose on my FP, clutch toggle switch, and now the CAS. So I had a number of things to go out on my car right after one another.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is so right. On my 91 laser I was expericing some of the same problems: starter, smoke, the hose on my FP, clutch toggle switch, and now the CAS. So I had a number of things to go out on my car right after one another.
Dude this thread is almost 5 months old....

FTW: the problem was i did not lube the starter teeth since they where dry they would stick when i lubed them it freed it up

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dude this thread is almost 5 months old....

FTW: the problem was i did not lube the starter teeth since they where dry they would stick when i lubed them it freed it up
Well i do agree with some people, every time you turn the corner around here there is a smart ass. Some people look bad into the old threads for answers to new questions. Keeps from reposting an old question.

My problem was the ground that went from batt. to starter was niped some how and not enough current could pass through.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts