DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Either this problem is getting worse, or else it just didn't bother me at first.

I have a rebuilt transmission for starters.

Ok, with all that out of the way...
When i press the pedal it seems like my clutch is not fully disengaging.
For example, when im at a stoplight and im not rolling i push in my clutch and try to put it in first I need to force it in. Sometimes if i have it in first with the clutch in my idle seems to get a touch lower, like if the clutch is just barely dragging. Also it sometimes grinds when i downshift, and almost always when i put it in reverse.

So i do the logical thing and go to adjust it only to find that the push-rod is already at the end of adjustment. I might have gotten a turn or so out of it max, but if i were to go any furthur there wouldn't be enough thread to be safe.

So my question is... now what???

I tried to bleed the clutch a bit, but it didn't seem to have any air. Also i've never opened any part of hydrolics before, so i don't know how air would have gotten in in the first place. Should i try a balls out bleed job and try a whole bottle of fluid? And is there another location to bleed other than the one right on the tranny?

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Maybe your clutch cylinder is showing its age, try replacing that. They are not that expensive and could be considered maintenance. Also, I have heard that the actual clutch pedal pivot rod (the part that is attached to the clutch pedal and goes across your brake pedal up under the dash) has a bushing slot in it that actually gets "wallowed out" causing this problem. I'm not sure if this was 1g only or 2g too.
Good luck, hope this helps.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
123 Posts
If this is an older car the clutch actuator lever frequently wears out. This is the part that rod is connected to..not threaded to..but the other part THAT part is connected to. About a 3inch long lever that is bolted to the pedal assembly. It wears out at the other end and the square peg hole wallows out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just loosen the nut and turn the screw behind the clutch paddle clockwise. This action will give you more clutch and might solve your problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts