DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not no turbo guru, i build, fab and paint stuff.:p

So spread some light the T-61. Im guessing it is very close in size with a 60-1.I was planning on on running a T4 60-1, and can get a deal on a T4 T-61.
What do you guys think? Has anyone ever run one.
PLEASE DONT RESPOND UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT.
:)
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
A 60-1 on a hks manifold for me on a p trim hot side designed for NOS basically made 570 WHP on a AWD Dyno at 32 PSI. I never sprayed it since the turbo was laggy and felt beating up the motor was not worth it. I sold the combo.

I feel that with all the bew ballistic turbos, the 60-1 just cannot compete. If it is like the t61 which I am not sure of, just save your money and buy a 35r.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea i see what your saying about the newer turbos out like the 35R. They just arent is my price range.:mad: If i had the funds, it would be my turbo of choice.

570whp on a 60-1 is awesome. Im only looking to make 500whp. Going in a 2600lb car.

So i think it should be plenty for me.

And from my understanding the T-61 is very comparable to the 35r.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PLANS for setup
T4 60-1 or T-61, possibly t3 holset Hx40
Rev hard t4 mani
dsmlink
1000cc
smim
big intercooler
bumper exhaust
fuelcell an8 feed/return
bosch044

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
For a non surge ported compressor the 60-1 is a very forgiving turbo. I experianced very little compressor surge with my 60-1 in the lower RPMs building boost.

A T-61 flows roughly the same amount of air. Although a 60-1 is basically tapped out at 30psi, the T-61 can sustain about 40 psi. If you take a look at the compressor maps you can see the differences.

The Borg Warner S258 has the same flow capabilities, builds boost faster and will handle 45 psi. You may find a better deal on a 60-1 or T-61, but I would recommend a newer technology turbo from a reputable vendor. Its possible to save a short term $500 and likely to end up spending the same if you get a bogus unit or cheap copy. On the other hand you may get lucky and find a good vendor with a fresh unit sitting on the shelf.

·
Registered
306 Posts
t61 is bigger then a 60-1 by alittle and the smallest of the bunch of the t series turbos aka t61 t66 t67 t70 etc. im sure im forgetting acouple. yo jay, check out a t66 or t67 or t70 it will give you room to work, and 450 500s on pump gas!, choke her up with alittle smaller of an exhaust housing no bigger. remember usuable power band not dyno queen numbers

·
Registered
517 Posts
garychios said:
A 60-1 on a hks manifold for me on a p trim hot side designed for NOS basically made 570 WHP on a AWD Dyno at 32 PSI. I never sprayed it since the turbo was laggy and felt beating up the motor was not worth it. I sold the combo.

I feel that with all the bew ballistic turbos, the 60-1 just cannot compete. If it is like the t61 which I am not sure of, just save your money and buy a 35r.
I have the same 60-1 with the p-trim wheel. I was curious as to when you hit full boost? Thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Last year I ran a T61 with an O-trim wheel in a T4 .58a/r housing. I also used the revhard manifold. It powered my fwd to 126-127 mph traps at moderate boost levels with a mix of 110 and 93 octane gas. It hit 25psi at about 4800 rpm in 3rd gear. It lays down on the work bench now because I put a 35R on. I havn't driven the car tho so I can't tell you how it compares.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
4SFED4 said:
For a non surge ported compressor the 60-1 is a very forgiving turbo. I experianced very little compressor surge with my 60-1 in the lower RPMs building boost.

A T-61 flows roughly the same amount of air. Although a 60-1 is basically tapped out at 30psi, the T-61 can sustain about 40 psi. If you take a look at the compressor maps you can see the differences.

The Borg Warner S258 has the same flow capabilities, builds boost faster and will handle 45 psi. You may find a better deal on a 60-1 or T-61, but I would recommend a newer technology turbo from a reputable vendor. Its possible to save a short term $500 and likely to end up spending the same if you get a bogus unit or cheap copy. On the other hand you may get lucky and find a good vendor with a fresh unit sitting on the shelf.

Sweet, thanks for the good info.:cool:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
turbosteve said:
t61 is bigger then a 60-1 by alittle and the smallest of the bunch of the t series turbos aka t61 t66 t67 t70 etc. im sure im forgetting acouple. yo jay, check out a t66 or t67 or t70 it will give you room to work, and 450 500s on pump gas!, choke her up with alittle smaller of an exhaust housing no bigger. remember usuable power band not dyno queen numbers
Yea but t66 and bigger will be way laggy wont it? Or the smaller housing will help that out alot?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hand1222000 said:
Get the T61 with a T04S cover and you will out flow a 60-1 easy.
Yea thats what i plan on getting to4s, t-61, v-band.
Not sure what a/r tho.

TTupgst said:
Last year I ran a T61 with an O-trim wheel in a T4 .58a/r housing. I also used the revhard manifold. It powered my fwd to 126-127 mph traps at moderate boost levels with a mix of 110 and 93 octane gas. It hit 25psi at about 4800 rpm in 3rd gear. It lays down on the work bench now because I put a 35R on. I havn't driven the car tho so I can't tell you how it compares.

Awsome, i was hoping i can find someone that has ran one.
Those traps are what im looking for, even thought your fwd.

Were you on stock 6 bolt? or built?

32 psi will be the most boost im going to throw at mine. Seems like a perfect turbo for what im looking for.

·
Registered
87 Posts
destroydsm said:
Awsome, i was hoping i can find someone that has ran one.
Those traps are what im looking for, even thought your fwd.

Were you on stock 6 bolt? or built?

Still rocking the 7 bolt. Bottom end is stock with over 160,000 miles on it, Head has been freshened, JMF intake, BC280 cams, shifted at 8500rpms.

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
destroydsm said:
Yea but t66 and bigger will be way laggy wont it? Or the smaller housing will help that out alot?
Running a smaller a/r and or frame turbine housing wil allow the turbo to spool up quicker. However it will increase the amount of compressor surge at low RPMs that can damage the turbo and choke your high RPM horsepower.

There has to be a balance between the compressor and turbine size(wheels, housing a/r, etc) to utilize the the full potential of the compressor. It soley rests on the performance level that is desired, engine displacement and RPM range for peak performance. Changing any of the three will have an impact on a turbo(s)' performance and normally warrants a change in the setup.

It would be a waste to have a GT42R with a tiny GT28 turbine wheel and a tight a/r housing. Boost would build fast, but there would be obscene amounts of compressor surge and total loss of any high RPM capabilities. Even a properly sized GT42R would be an overkill if you only want to achieve a level of 500 WHP and only run 30 psi. A properly sized GT30R would be easier to tune, have much better street manners, save engine bay space and overall out perform the GT42 at the same boost and HP levels on an equally equipped 2 liter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts