DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
megasquirt sticky!

I believe that there should be a thread that links all the resources for installing megasquirt v1 and v2 on the v2.2 or 3.0 board into a dsm.

I'll start with what I've found and know:

If you have a dsm and need to want to install megasquirt into your car you have to decide whether or not you want mega squirt 1 or 2. I'm not going to make that decision for you of course because I'm no expert on the matter. I'm pointing out the fact because to mod a v2 or v3 board for ms1 for use in a dsm is diferant than modding those boards for use with a dsm with ms2.

Say if you choose ms1 for whatever reasons, you need to do the following mods for the board:

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_art...your_4g63_powered_dsm_eclipse_talon_laser.htm

But if you chose megasquirt 2 like I did, you can do this:
http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_4g63.htm#wiring

It should be noted also that any year dsm needs to use a 1g cas with any version of megasquirt.

·
Registered
426 Posts
4g64fiero said:
I believe that there should be a thread that links all the resources for installing megasquirt v1 and v2 on the v2.2 or 3.0 board into a dsm.

I'll start with what I've found and know:

If you have a dsm and need to want to install megasquirt into your car you have to decide whether or not you want mega squirt 1 or 2. I'm not going to make that decision for you of course because I'm no expert on the matter. I'm pointing out the fact because to mod a v2 or v3 board for ms1 for use in a dsm is diferant than modding those boards for use with a dsm with ms2.

Say if you choose ms1 for whatever reasons, you need to do the following mods for the board:

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_art...your_4g63_powered_dsm_eclipse_talon_laser.htm

But if you chose megasquirt 2 like I did, you can do this:
http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_4g63.htm#wiring

It should be noted also that any year dsm needs to use a 1g cas with any version of megasquirt.
That is 100% wrong. If you have a 7 bolt you can use the stock crank and cam angle sensors.

Megasquirt is the shit. I ran it, my buddy runs it (crank sensor and cam sensor), my fiance runs it, another buddy runs it on his colt, and my buddy who builds them for me has one on his laser and 1998 Eclipse RS-T.

After finally being able to play with MS2 this week, I don't ever see myself going back to one. The car runs so much better with the ms2 chip in there.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wishihadatalon said:
That is 100% wrong. If you have a 7 bolt you can use the stock crank and cam angle sensors.

Megasquirt is the shit. I ran it, my buddy runs it (crank sensor and cam sensor), my fiance runs it, another buddy runs it on his colt, and my buddy who builds them for me has one on his laser and 1998 Eclipse RS-T.

After finally being able to play with MS2 this week, I don't ever see myself going back to one. The car runs so much better with the ms2 chip in there.
Well , that is good to know. I was just going by diyautotune.com

Did you have to modify the board in anyway to use the stock crank and cam sensor?

·
Registered
198 Posts
wishihadatalon said:

PLEASE inform me on how to use the STOCK cam and crank sensor with my 7 bolt 2g. :D

If that's the case my DSM will have megasquirt on in a matter of weeks, I have had MS V2.2 sitting in my closet for over a year.... :chair:

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tt281gt said:
PLEASE inform me on how to use the STOCK cam and crank sensor with my 7 bolt 2g. :D

If that's the case my DSM will have megasquirt on in a matter of weeks, I have had MS V2.2 sitting in my closet for over a year.... :chair:
I think it should be noted that the 95 camshaft position sensor is diferant from the other 2g camshaft position sensors as its output is inverted in comparison.

·
Registered
198 Posts
4g64fiero said:
I think it should be noted that the 95 camshaft position sensor is diferant from the other 2g camshaft position sensors as its output is inverted in comparison.
So that does that mean that I would follow procedure to wire the stock sensor but "backwards" since it's inverted? [Yeah I know, noob]

Hopefully this guy comes through and I can have MS up and running, all I would need is a AFPR, injectors, and wide band. :)

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tt281gt said:
So that does that mean that I would follow procedure to wire the stock sensor but "backwards" since it's inverted? [Yeah I know, noob]

Hopefully this guy comes through and I can have MS up and running, all I would need is a AFPR, injectors, and wide band. :)
It means its output is inverted in comparison to the other cps's. I personally just bought a 1g cas for 35usd shipped instead of worrying about how to use the stock sensors. People have documented and used the 1g cas many times with megasquirt. I'd rather just have the insurance that my sensor works correctly for the application than try to formulate a way to use the stock sensor and save 35$.:tree:

·
Registered
198 Posts
4g64fiero said:
It means its output is inverted in comparison to the other cps's. I personally just bought a 1g cas for 35usd shipped instead of worrying about how to use the stock sensors. People have documented and used the 1g cas many times with megasquirt. I'd rather just have the insurance that my sensor works correctly for the application than try to formulate a way to use the stock sensor and save 35$.:tree:

True, I did some searching but could not find anything about a 1g CAS on a 2g head...Everthing I found about a 1g CAS in a 2g had to do with a 6 bolt swap...

So I guess it's time for a head swap at least :dunno: I do have a 1g head and manifold sitting in my garage, I have to finish porting it and see if it's usable lol [I used this head to learn to port, looks good except this one area and I still have to complete it...].

:eek:

·
Registered
426 Posts
tt281gt said:
True, I did some searching but could not find anything about a 1g CAS on a 2g head...Everthing I found about a 1g CAS in a 2g had to do with a 6 bolt swap...

So I guess it's time for a head swap at least :dunno: I do have a 1g head and manifold sitting in my garage, I have to finish porting it and see if it's usable lol [I used this head to learn to port, looks good except this one area and I still have to complete it...].

:eek:
NO NO NO. 1g cas will work just fine on a 2g head. Just make sure that your cam has the key way for the 1g cam angle sensor.

·
Honorary Administrator
2,716 Posts
Good info guys! A long time ago, I was working on making a DSM specific Plug-and-play MS. This is very good info!

Stickied.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TurboTiger said:
MS2-Extra user here, chiming in. Running it on my 1G Turbo AWD. I'm so close on getting it running good.
What set of sensors are you using and what board?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is some pics of my progress with the ms2 v3.0 board:

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I will also note that the firmware you put on your MS processor must match the firmware you configure megatune to use, otherwise bad things happen.

If you follow the information at megamanual.com though, there is not really much to input here. Its pretty straight forward.

Also, you dont need a megastim to install the firmware like it says so in the directions.

All you have to do is hook a 9 volt battery up to the megasquirt board to pins18(ground) and 19(ground) and positive to pin 28.

That should turn the megasquirt on.

Remember to install the jumpers on the processor everytime you want to change the firmware, and remember to take the jumpers off when trying to access the megasquirt board from megatune. Always turn the board off before removing or installing the jumpers. I started getting crazy errors because I didnt turn my board off after deciding on a different firmware and putting the jumpers on. No permanent damage done, though.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also just found out you can use the stock coolant temp sensor, its in the megamanual on how to configure the board for the stock mitsu cts. Pretty sweet.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Im running a EMSPro(Megasquirt with all the bells and wistles). Love the thing to death only thing is that I had to build a one off harness for it but, was very worth it. Had AEM before and will never go back. Megasquirt is very popular here. Go Megasquirt!

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Woz said:
Im running a EMSPro(Megasquirt with all the bells and wistles). Love the thing to death only thing is that I had to build a one off harness for it but, was very worth it. Had AEM before and will never go back. Megasquirt is very popular here. Go Megasquirt!
I'm the only person I've met that even knows about it. I figured it was the perfect ems for dsm community as its a very diy way of obtaining a standalone.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm getting pretty pumped of MS. I've been trying to read all I can and I think that it might be my choice as far as an EMS, but I'm just trying to get my car running again. Typical.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well I got mine assembled and programmed. I;ve been checking the megasquirt out making sure everything is working correctly with mega tune. I cant believe this friggin ecu works! I've spent about 1/2 an hour a day over the last 2 weeks just taking my time assembling it. Not to shabby.

The firmware I'm using is ms2 2.687.

Circuits I DIDNT install in the instuctions:
vr circuit(step 52).
Circuit for triggering off of coil negative terminal(step 50 b.).
I also didnt install the high current ignition circuit since I will be using the stock 2g dsm transistor for that(step 65).

Other than that I followed the instuctions for using a 1g cas but I'm not sure if that works yet because it is not on my car.:tree:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts