DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after trying to be a little different than everyone else, I have decided to keep my 2ga smiley. I have seen some pictures in the past with the bumper cut to allow more airflow to the FMIC, but cant seem to find any.

If you have any pictures or any ideas that would be cool let me know, as I really don't have any ideas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·


This is the main idea I am thinking of as of now. The only thing I am worried about is the wierd curve of the bumper, and having it look all jagged and hacked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Maybe take that same idea but extend the top of the cut all the way to the sides of the main opening. Have the lines of the original opening extend up into the top cut. Make sense? I think that may look good, but am not sure if it would be too much cutting when it comes to structural stability or exposing supports.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,476 Posts
Keep the smiley as is; it's sleeper as shit. OR cut more gridding into it....Let me see if I can photoshop what I mean....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,307 Posts



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,386 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I am loving the way that red car looks. Almost like it has fangs or something. Might look weird with any FMIC other than the one it has, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,307 Posts
The_EE said:
I love those rims. PM me your address :D
Trust me there not that great!


With a good sanding and some decent paint they'll be alright.

Sell em' to ya cheap.


I'm not that far from ya either. I frequent Jefferson city MO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tatanko said:
I am loving the way that red car looks. Almost like it has fangs or something. Might look weird with any FMIC other than the one it has, though.
I have the same exact FMIC. At least it looks like it in the picture. (SSAC FMIC)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GotaRed. Can you take a picture facing upwards in front of your car? I am just worried that it will be riggid, and the end of the bumper will be pointed outwards, and in in towards the car/fmic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
FunWheelDrive said:
If he leaves it the way it is then it will cut down on the effceincy of a fmic.
That is very debatable. Think of how much direct exposure your radiator has and yet at highway speeds it is still able to maintain a reasonable temperature without using any fan assistance. You can achieve the same results by making sure that your bumper doesn't but right up to your fmic on the top part. Trim away at that area right in front of the front mount without touching the part that is visible and you will have an area where air will flow.

Another reason that it won't really hurt is because the intercooler end tank design isn't all that efficient. Expecting highly pressurized air to enter your tank, turn 90 degrees, flow up 6-10 inches, make another 90 and then work up there is a pretty unreasonable expectation.

Here is some great info on factory cooling for a supra. It involves air flow for radiator, side mount (actually very efficient at speed because of engineering), and also what do do if you need a front mount. http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/intake/intercooler_2JZGTE.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
Man having the fmic exposed like that is a BAD idea in MI. I give it a week before it's all chewed to hell from road debris.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,669 Posts
PROZIUM451 said:
Man having the fmic exposed like that is a BAD idea in MI. I give it a week before it's all chewed to hell from road debris.
Thats why you put in some gutter gaurd or equilvelent.For a dd, street car, I doubt he will notice any real improvements from hacking the shit out of his bumper.It makes the car look horrible.And unless hes building a 10 or 11 sec beast, why make it look like crap?:dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
empie1 said:
Thats why you put in some gutter gaurd or equilvelent.
Yeah, but that defeats the aesthetics part of the mod. A nice 24" by 8" FMIC looks pretty good on the "smiley" bumpers and is pretty effective as far as performance and air flow are concerned. And the price aint bad either.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,669 Posts
PROZIUM451 said:
Yeah, but that defeats the aesthetics part of the mod. A nice 24" by 8" FMIC looks pretty good on the "smiley" bumpers and is pretty effective as far as performance and air flow are concerned. And the price aint bad either.
You honestly think putting gutter guard defeats its purpose? Yeah, those mesh wires really restrict air flow.:rolleyes: Im glad I have my mesh in front, its stopped more than a few rocks that would have dented some fins .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
empie1 said:
You honestly think putting gutter guard defeats its purpose? Yeah, those mesh wires really restrict air flow.:rolleyes: Im glad I have my mesh in front, its stopped more than a few rocks that would have dented some fins .
Aesthetics = how it looks.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top