DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
USDM HLA on the left, JDM HLA on the right

JDM HLA on the left, USDM HLA on the right

It is easy to identify the JDM unit without removing it by looking for the pressure relief extension. I didn't take a picture at that angle because of the quality of the camera I was using and the USDM head needs a bath.

·
Registered
583 Posts
What does an hla do and what does it stand for??

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hydraulic lash adjuster, regulates oil flow to the head. The JDM is slightly better I was told because it reaches 30psi of oil pressure then bleeds off the rest, where as the USDM dosent, and can cause high amounts of oil pressure in the head....when its "way better off" in the pan/bottom end.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The HLA is the lifter itself, I think this would be called something else. Pressure regulator or something. I've been told the reason for using the JDM regulator/distribution block is to prevent lifter/hla pump up at very high RPM.

Found it on FP's site. Hopefully the link works. If not its in the FP5R description.
http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=101FP5R&Category_Code=DSM-Engine

For very high RPM applications we recommend using the early DSM style HLA's (they have a smaller diameter plunger) and reducing oil pressure to the HLA oil galley by using the early JDM oil regulator or a restricted orifice in the oil distribution block. These two items reduce HLA pump up effects.

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct they are HLA pressure regulators. I was trying to keep the title short and just got lazy.

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Can we put these in the 7 bolt heads?
As far as I know you can. The USDM head pictured is off of a 1G 7 bolt. Other than the smaller intake ports, the 2G head is basically the same as a 1G. I had an Extreme Mtrspts race ported 2G head on my 6 bolt and had no compatibility issues. However, 7 bolt EVO heads are different.

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got mine from early 6 bolt JDM Galant 4G63s. None of the EVO3 motors I have seen had that regulator.

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is no gasket. Its one fine machined surface against another. At least none(20+) I have take apart have had a gasket.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
There is no gasket. Its one fine machined surface against another. At least none(20+) I have take apart have had a gasket.
My machinist had taken mine out and it has a gasket. Mitsu says there is no gasket listed so I think your right. Someone must have had this head apart before and thought a gasket went there and made their own.

:dunno:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts